ericf7

Nov 25, 2002
I just bought a 2003 kdx220 and am beginning mods soon. Would you guys recommend drilling the airbox( have seen recommendations for five 1" holes in lid) or removing lid altogether. If I remove lid , where and how is the best way to mount the electrical unit that is mounted on the lid? thanx

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Seems like a couple/three holes should be more than enough. At the end of the day all that air has to go through a 1 3/8" carb venturi.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I tossed the snorkle and cut out the entire raised section towards the rear of the lid. Left about a 4"x3" hole. If you do this, you don't have to relocate the igniter box, it opens the airbox up quite a bit more, and still offers some level of protection from water.

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
you can also cut a 3x4 hole in your lid then cut a 3 1/2 x4 1/2 piece of k&n outer ware over it with velco on lid and k&n outer to hold it on works good. all the air you want in and no dirt . it just that easy.......:)

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Most people will follow the same technique as BRush with good results. I prefer this method because you don't have to relocate the CDI.

David

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
If you're worried about dirt getting into the air box ,,,try this.
Cut a piece of panty hose(nylons) to size and strech it tightly over the open air box.
This will prevent any dirt from getting in and will act as a drum skin bouncing off any dirt.
Also acts as a pre filter.

Cheers
Joe

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
The nylon thing sounds like a reallyt good idea!! Im gonna try it. Mabey since I don thave the airbox mod yet, is why my bike seems to be bogging? I hope this might help!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I removed mine completely. This way I have the option of putting it back stock should the need arise. You can relocate the cdi to the cross member. There is already a tapped whole and reuse the bolt from the original location. I did place some rubber faucet washers under it to reduce vibration.
Lew

Top Bottom