Altitude, Temperature, Humidity

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
How do these rank in order of importance to proper carburetion?

The reason I ask is because I took my 02 CR250 with stock jetting* (& slight airscrew adjustment) to some low hills in dense fog at about 50 F. It abso-freaking-lutely ripped, pulling part-throttle wheelies, just crisp and sweet. OK, so it was colder than normal, so the air is more dense, fine. But with 100% humidity (goggles misted up immediately; you could wipe the water off the number plate and fender) shouldn't that cancel out the not-very-low temperature?

A week later, I took it back to the same place after changing the air filter, about 60 F, clear blue sky, and it was relatively weak, with worse throttle response and soft low-to-mid power. Just ten degrees and some fog.

I'm trying to get my low-altitude (<1000') baseline jetting before I come up with something for Moonrocks, which is at 4,500' and should be 20-40 degrees F.

* = 380, 32.5, -30-74 needle @ #2

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Very nice, thank you. Plugging in the conditions in which my bike ran near-perfect shows a near 100% relative air density. Reno conditions are about 87% of that.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to change the carb settings to match the 13% lower air density. Somehow I think it's more complicated than simply using 13% smaller jets.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom