wasted

Mar 14, 2004
I have a 1997 rm 250 that I've had for a few weeks now and noticed the first time riding it that it made an almost unnoticable rattle from the clutch just when taking off from a dead stop... so I drained the oil and found a bunch of very fine alumin. flakes in the oil(alot of them), so I pulled the cover and pulled the clutch apart and found the retaining nut was loose and backed out so I tighened it back up and rode the bike 6-7 times changing the oil everytime trying to clean it out, but with no luck...
the clutch was fine when I first rode it, but it is slipping pretty bad now and everytime I dump the oil there is still alumin in it...
I did notice that when the previous owner replaced the clutch he left the first fiber plate out, probably because the clutch pack was too thick with it there, but he ran a metal plate first against the alumin inner basket... so I took two metals and welded them together and put it in the center of the pack so there would be a fiber plate first, and last, in the pack... but it didnt help...
I ordered a new clutch that will be here the beginning of the week, but I hate to put a new clutch in there with all that alumin still in there...
any suggestions on what may be causing these shavings? and whats a good way to clean them out of the motor before I put my new clutch in?
I would think that the clutch would be the only area that alumin shavings could come from, and the only(maybe) problem that I could find was that the outer clutch basket had a little play in it, which I dont know if thats normal or not for this bike... but it doesnt move much(not enough to make contact with anything else) and you have to use a little force to move it... and the needle bearing it rides on, and everything else involved with it, looked good...
it runs great and doesnt make any weird noises or do anything abnormal besides the slipping clutch(which is the only place I can think of that the shavings would be coming from) and everything is put together right...

I'm kind of stumped and could use some suggestions...

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
I wouldn't worry about the aluminum shavings once you replace the clutch, sound like your plates are just wearing out and time for a new set, that should solve your problem. If you must flush it out, I would use a solvent like deisel fuel then rinse with trans oil.

wasted

Mar 14, 2004
yeah, I flushed it out as best I could, there isnt really a whole lot you can get to to flush it out... I used some carb cleaner and fresh oil and got it as best I could, the new clutch brought everything back to life pretty good... I'm still changing oil after every ride and still getting some shavings in the oil, but I imagine its probably going to take awhile to get it all out...

Top Bottom