Am I screwed? "Forgot" to register camper (and pay sales tax) in IL - any advice?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Situation:

I purchased a new toy hauler camper in WI back in August 2003. I live in IL. I had a temp 30 day tag before I needed to register the camper and pay sales tax in IL.

Well, I kept putting it off since it was winter and I couldn't find the bill of sale and yadda yadda..... so I think it's time to register this thing and cough up some cash to IL for sales tax. But... I am wondering how bad I'm gonna get hit for not doing this 7 months ago.

Anyone have any experience or any advice/tips to lessen the blow of possible fines and compound interest and all that good stuff?

I'm skeered the man is gonna get me.... :debil:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You're over thinking this Nikki. The temporary tags were just to get you across state lines and home. You don't have to pay tax and registration fees until such time that you TITLE the vehicle/trailer.

Find the bill of sale, go to MVS and apply for a title and register the toy hauler.

JUST DO IT BEFORE YOU GET PULLED OVER...because you wont only be screwed, you'll be screwed, glued AND tattooed!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
if you took out a loan don't forget to claim it as a 2nd home! :)

B

biglou

I know in MO you have 30 days after purchase to title something then there are penalties, but they are somewhat minor. Maybe 2% per month, and it maxes out at x%. So, I don't think it will sting too bad. Kinda the same thing with personal property tax. It's a certain % per month with a max.

And hey, if it does turn out to be a big deal, I'll stop by and visit you in debtor's prison on the way to Wardy's this year...

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hehe... thanks Lou! Bring me some beef jerky, okay?

Offroadr - so you can deduct RV interest as well? Damn... I was snoozin on my tax return this year... failed to mention anything about the camper or the theft/casualty loss claim to the accountant. I'm young and still learning all this stuff.

And I think IL is similar to MO because my uncle had a situation a while back with a snowmobile trailer and sales tax/registration fines. I think I might go to the currency exchange tonight and bite the bullet.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
nikki said:
Offroadr - so you can deduct RV interest as well? Damn... I was snoozin on my tax return this year... failed to mention anything about the camper or the theft/casualty loss claim to the accountant. I'm young and still learning all this stuff.

oh yea! It qualifies as a home so the loan interest is deductable if you itemize

Top Bottom