AMA announces new age limits..........

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Minimum age 16 established for AMA competition event corner workers

Effective February 1, 2008, the minimum age requirement for corner workers ("Flaggers") at any AMA Sanctioned competition event is 16 years. AMA Promoting Organizers are required to adhere to this rule. Failure to do so may jeopardize event insurance coverage and will result in revocation of AMA Sanction privileges.

Sound judgment and decision-making skills are essential qualities for a corner worker to possess, especially when it comes to the important responsibility of safeguarding participants and spectators alike. While there may be exceptions, young persons may often lack these skills and the ability to apply them in the fast-paced environs of a racing event.

AMA is committed to effective risk management and to be proactive in our effort to minimize insurance coverage costs. It is certainly in everybody's best interest to staff corners with qualified individuals and we should extend our best effort to do so. To that end, the AMA, in consultation with our risk management partner Wells Fargo Motorsports, has established the minimum corner worker age of 16 years for AMA Sanctioned competition events.

AMA continues to offer the AMA Flagger Safety video to AMA Organizers free upon request. This 10-minute video is an excellent training aid and should be viewed by all your corner workers. Send your request for the video to AMA Organizer Services Clerk Priscilla Applin.

We appreciate your cooperation and continued efforts to provide the best amateur motorsports environment and experience possible. Thank you.

Questions regarding this bulletin should be directed to Cherie Schlatter, AMA Organizer Services Manager.

AMA Organizer Services
For resources, additional bulletins and contact information, visit www.AMADirectlink.com/Organizers.

:cool:

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
wardy said:
Minimum age 16 established for AMA competition event corner workers

Sound judgment and decision-making skills are essential qualities for a corner worker to possess, especially when it comes to the important responsibility of safeguarding participants and spectators alike. While there may be exceptions, young persons may often lack these skills and the ability to apply them in the fast-paced environs of a racing event.

Hmmm, Sound judgment and decision-making skills. Maybe is should be limited to 30 y/o. ;)

Definately a step in the right direction. Thanks for the update Wardy. :cool:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Reesknight said:
Hmmm, Sound judgment and decision-making skills. Maybe is should be limited to 30 y/o. ;)

Definately a step in the right direction. Thanks for the update Wardy. :cool:

Errr.. I'm almost 41 and I don't consider my self all that sound in my judgment most of the time!! (I did just buy a 450..)

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
dave that is why a rule like this didn't pass a few years ago but this new insurance company is doing alot of things and boom thats it. be nice if ama would adopt another couple companies so thier competition in the market. today there isn't. on the flaggers deal I agree with it and have done this for over 10 years at megacross.......but i do realize that some tracks don't have the crew that we enjoy.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I was talking to one of the underwriters at Trudy's company a few weeks back and asked if they would consider writing track policies. The company is a specialized line that works with higher risk policies. He said if there was an interest and if someone could provide him with some facts he would look into it. Problem is no one in our district even after all their talk wants to move away from the AMA policy- more likely they are happy to complain as long as they don't have to do the research

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I can't tell you how many times I see the flaggers watching the race and not paying attention to the downed rider laying in front of them!

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
I was talking to one of the underwriters at Trudy's company a few weeks back and asked if they would consider writing track policies. The company is a specialized line that works with higher risk policies. He said if there was an interest and if someone could provide him with some facts he would look into it. Problem is no one in our district even after all their talk wants to move away from the AMA policy- more likely they are happy to complain as long as they don't have to do the research

I worked for a year on this company who is right in the middle of being accepted by ama for insurance......it's half the price that we pay now. trouble with clubs dave is they don't have the people to take the time to work that end of things. They are to likley to "ra ra'' the ama and beleive every word AMA says with out questioning it. I used to also, no more, they have to be questioned and watched at every turn.

sad but true.

Top Bottom