Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Last Thursday, I was in Columbus, OH, and had an hour or two to kill before my flight home.  So, I headed east on I-70 to check out the AMA museum.  Has anyone been there before?  It was pretty cool, but kinda small.  The whole upper floor was a display on Indian Motorcycles.  That was OK to look at, but a little redundant.  Apparently, they change the displays from time to time.

The good part was downstairs.  Down there were two really good displays of competition motorcycles.  They had Kenny Roberts' TZ750 dirt tracker.  In fact, they had a lot of Dirt Track bikes, from guys like Mert Lawell (sp?) Ricky Graham, Bubba Shobert, and Mike Kidd.  They had Bill Baird's Triumph Enduro bike, they had one of Dick Burleson's Enduro bikes.  They had Donny Schmit's bike (RM 125) that he won the 1990 World MX 125cc GP championship on.  They had David Bailey's 500 from 1984.  What did Honda call their Factory Works bikes?

Cool Stuff.  I quickly looked through the gift shop and picked up a copy of the book that Ed Youngblood wrote about John Penton.  I read the entire book on the plane ride home.  It was a really good read, and I would recommend it to those who are interested in the history of off-road racing and/or the history of KTM in America.

Check out the Museum and/or the book if you get a chance.

Top Bottom