Amazing choke problem

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
For some reason, my choke knob, when fully pulled out, now hits my fuel petcock. I never noticed this before. I'm a bit baffled, as there's not that much to move/change in that area.......ideas?

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
The notch on the carb is right where it should be. How much space is between your fully extended choke and petcock?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'm not real sure, but I know it doesn't hit. I'll try and remember to check when I get home tonight.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Thanks. I'm no dummy, a pretty good wrench man in fact. I've changed nothing. It just started hitting all of a sudden a few weeks back. It's no huge problem. It just amazes me the simplicity of the deal. Hmmmmm..........

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Hey, there's mnnthbx, formerly of PWCToday billet fame! Pardon the threadjack...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Here are a couple of pics that will give you and idea of the way it probably used to be.

No, I haven't cleaned my bike since yesterday's ride....

Note the choke knob is slightly ahead (in front of) of the petcock in an x/y-axis, slightly behind (to the right) the petcock in the z-axis.

The index on the downstream throat can be in the OEM boot 'notch' and the carb can still be off (tilted) slightly.

Which way is it hitting? The top of the knob to the bottom of the petcock? On the edge of the knob?

Note the length of the choke rod that is exposed.

Check the boot on the bottom of the rod at the carb body.

In the case of these pics you can see that there is plenty of room for the choke shaft to extend without petcock interference. I'm saying your situation probably isn't a matter of the choke rod being 'out' too far (the x/y-axis or two dimensional part) but a z-axis (depth) problem.

Let us know what the amazing outcome is. Even if it's so simple you gotta wonder why the answer wasn't intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

Attachments

• KDX choke.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 76
  • KDX choke2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 74

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
Know what you do, take off the seat and rad shrouds then loosen the two bolts that hold the gas tank on and push the tank forward a bit and put everything back together. I've noticed that problem before and you just need to reseat your gas tank.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…