Anodizing Forks Problem !!! Help

mxelbio

May 11, 2001
i´ve a question, what´s the difference betwen regular anodizing or HARD COBALT Anodizing in fork legs, is the same treatment...!!!!!!
Because my old Race Tech anodizing forks are discolored , so i need a new coat,
Why are discolored.???
Do need i polish my forks legs..????
Help me , please ...
Thanks Guys..!!!!!!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
hard anodizing is not the same as regular anodizing, regular is just dying the material, and you can anodize 6061 or 2024(common types), you can't hard anodize 2024, hard anodizing will only make a part grey, as opposed to the numerous colors you can get by regular anodizing, you cannot polish up the anodizing, since anodizing is only dying, it will fade ecspecially when in the elements, but you can take your forks to me re-anodized, if you don't know of anyone, contact me.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
ZKDX is right......there's a big difference between "hard anodizing" and "decorative anodizing".

Sounds like your fork tubes were done in the latter style (decorative). With that type of anodizing, you have to be real careful how you wash your bike - high-alkaline detergents will fade the color real fast!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i should clarify, you can get your part to be black with hard-anodizing, if the material is right. Very few people hard anodize their products. Anything you see ecspecially in racing that is of color will be anodized. you should see a few pics of some anodized parts at our website if you care to check it out: www.twhenterprises.com

mxelbio

May 11, 2001
thank ZKDX & WhiPit..!!!
Zkdx , i live in Argentine, another country from South America...so i can´t send you my fork...!!!!!!!..............so i have a few points :

I discolored my forks because are decorative anodize and i wash my bike with some detergent..

Race tech ( or a guy with franchaising here) anodize my fork with decorative becauce is more cheper than Hard anodize...

What´s the reason of Hard anodize, Heat dispersion, thichness, fashion or hardness..

In order to Hard Anodize my forks i need to find professionals in this area, like you ZKDX, but what is the conmon use in industry for this treatment....

What kind of aluminiun are, forks, shock body, handeblars, hubs, and i supose that whels cant recive Hard anodize , only decorative.....

Thanks guysfor support me..!!!!!!

mxelbio

May 11, 2001
ZKDX

i was searching the web site and i guess that you anodize to finish parts, (corrosion and look), but not Hard Anodize...
So What is : Type 2 or 3 ??????

Type II & III Anodizing

· Chromate Conversion

· Alodine

Is Hard anodize an electro conduccion system like decorative ....
I want to learn about this

Thanks

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
Anodizing is primarily done for cosmetic, although it does provide corrosion and scratch resistance. We primarily anodize 6061, we can anodize other types. We only hard anodize 6061 with our process and it will only darken the aluminum. hard anodize is MUCH more corrosive resistant and will not scratch off (at least you can't cut through it with a knife). Type II is regular anodize, Type III is hard anodize. Chromate conversion, alodine, irridite is for aluminum are cheaper forms of anodizing.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…