Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Need some advice guys. I picked up a pair of conventional showas for 100 bucks. Problem is each inner leg have some nics on them that I can feel with my finger tip. They look deep. I really want to put these forks on my Cr 200 hybrid that I am making.
Question is, is there any coating that I can have put on them that resurfaces them. I have never seen anyone advertising re chroming of fork tubes just some nitrate coating thing. I can get my money back if I have to on the forks. New inner tubes are $250 each and are on back order.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
There is a fix if you want to keep the forks. One is to lightly sand the nicks out. I have done this numerous times using 400, then 600, then 1200 wet/dry sandpaper. If after sanding, the nick can still be felt, fill it with clear nail polish, let it dry, and then buff the area smooth. I've never had a seal failure after using this method. I'm sure others will chime in with other solutions, too.

Crzyfrlss1

Apr 5, 2006
I have the same problem as well, causes my seals to leak too.
And I can do fork service on my own, but I knew it was gonna leak again because of ONE little pit that I found in the fork leg.

Thanks for that tip darringer. :cool:
I can't wait to try it out and see if it works for me.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
thanks darringer, I brought them buy a sus shop today and they said it wasnt too bad. I am going to use your method. After I am done, what do I buff the nail polish area with?

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
No dought, that does work. I just rebuilt my forks and somehow got some burs on them. I took my wifes fingernail buffer block and went to it. Not only did it take the burs off it polished the spot instead of scuffing it. :)

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use extremely fine 1500 sanpaper on the entire area after the nail polish is applied. Polishes it up nicely. Good idea with the fingernail buffer. Somehow makes perfect sense! D'oh! :)

ctdyno

Damn Yankees
Feb 10, 2007
yea just fill it in with something like that, nailpolish, crazyglue and that 1500grit is amazing for stuff like that, makes it nice and smooth

Top Bottom