Another large land sale to the "other" side

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Source: The NandoTimes
Bureau of Land Management to acquire portion of California desert
The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES (AP) - More than 62,000 acres of California's Mojave desert will be turned over to the public for preservation within a week, concluding a massive buyout that will save the pristine land from commercial development, officials said Tuesday.

The title on the land, more than twice the size of San Francisco, will be transferred from the Catellus Development Corp. to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

The transfer caps an intense five-year campaign by private donors spearheaded by Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein and the Wildlands Conservancy, a private nonprofit group dedicated to acquiring land for conservation.

"This marks the culmination of a long process to preserve and protect one of North America's great treasures," Feinstein said.

The land, which includes former railroad parcels extending from the Salton Sea to the Colorado River, is home to bighorn sheep, desert tortoises, sand dunes, extinct volcanoes, ancient petroglyphs and sprawling mountain ranges.

The transfer was the last of four. Previous parcels totaled 405,000 acres; the latest transfer brings the preserve to approximately 467,000 acres.

The Wildlands Conservancy raised $46.6 million to complete the purchases.

"What makes this deal different from any other involving purchases of wilderness is that it was funded with private donations, and then given to the public," said John Bezzant, vice president of management at Catellus.

wardy

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Hard to bash a group that can raise 46 million bucks (hmmm. . . I wonder where all that $$ came from??) to buy property.
Perhaps congratulations (begrudgingly) are in order.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Maybe the BLM will allow some of it for off-road use, but I doubt it. It just goes to show you that what we are up against is going to be tuff beat if they can get funds like that, but you have to think that they have been raising funds for several years.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
tons of that money is funded by people that avoid big taxes by donating money like that to these funds. most of it is Hollywood money and big business type people. I ran into that here in IL when I tried to buy a farm next to a good size piece of property. It was owned by RR Donnelly people. THere reply to my request was they would "give " it to the conservancy rather then sell it. Remember that the next time you see Paul Newman and the rest sellin there bill of goods. I guess its why I dont' go to movies and rarely rent them.

wardy

ForestThump

Feb 6, 2003
ok, so here's what i'm seeing...

the 'developers' buy land and build it up with houses, offices, etc. thereby prohibiting any outdoor recreation.
the 'conservancy' buys land (with otherwise tax money) and prohibits any outdoor recreation other than hiking.
the 'conservancy' works to focus all OHV activity into small concentrations then calls attention to the "erosion/environmental damage" and works to shut it down.

ok, what's left for OHV? where's it gonna be? so certain groups are trying to shut it all down, piece by piece, and the nation can choose to either hike or be basketball/baseball/soccer players.

Top Bottom