Any ideas on how to stop exhaust leak?

GrnXnham

Jul 31, 2004
I have this old 1979 Honda XL100 that I want to get into running condition.

The exhaust system is a two part system where the smaller front pipe fits into the larger rear pipe that and there was at one time some type of high temperature gasket between the two pipes to prevent exhaust from leaking out. The gasket is gone. According to Honda, they don't make the gasket for this bike anymore.

I have tried to seal the two pipes together using "exhaust sealant tape" from by Innovation Racing. I found it in the Dennis Kirk catalog. The stuff just melted out of there after the bike was fully warmed up.

Next I tried some 1000 degree ceramic tape from cotronics.

This stuff was better. It lasted several hours before a tiny leak developed. It appeared to slowly burn the tape away.

Anyone know of any materials/tapes that I can use to seal these two pipes together that won't burn up? I don't know how hot these pipes get but maybe I need something that can handle closer to 2000 degrees? I'm not sure.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Dave

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Hondabond HT
hi-temp silicone liquid gasket
effective up to +600 degrees F

It might work for you. You can get it right off the shelf at your local Honda shop. Costs less than $10 so its worth a try?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
GREENBEAN said:
is the ultra copper silicone good enough...

I agree, I used it where my pipe connected to my cylender on my kx250 and never had a problem.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I just replaced the clutch on my streetbike and I used some at the exhaust port to header connection. I ran it and it sounded like no leak but we will see when I have been stuck in traffic for an hour and it gets really hot.

Top Bottom