Any KDXers ever ridden an XR 400?

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
How would you sum up the differences? I would imagine the XR would be heavier, is it alot? What about power and handling? Curious because a guy emailed me about a trade. :think: Thanks for your opinions.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Did you ever stop to think.... WHY he wants to trade? The KDX is more nimble, quicker on the throttle and much, much easier to work on, not to mention the weight. I don't think I would do it unless the bike is newer and it's resale value that is driving your decision! :think:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I had a 2000 XR400 and loved it...until it stalled and I had to restart (usually after a crash:)).
Mine was modified (pumper carb, suspension and all), ultra reliable, but like I said, starting troubles ultimately made me sell it.
The weight was a non issue, the handling was actually quite awesome on the trails.
I would ad e-start to it if I still had one.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
It's the same year as mine, an '01, the main reason I'm thinking about it is my wife and kids all have 4 strokers and just the hassle of different gas cans was a thought. Plus I rode 4 bangers for 10 years until I got this KDX so I'm really used to them. What it all comes back to I guess is because of my back woes I haven't gotten to try the Kaw yet so I guess it's just a feeling of going with a known quantity, my mind is just refusing to believe all you guys telling me what a great bike the KDX is. :worship: Bad back, get better! :laugh:

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
KDX will be better for your back because they are easier to kick! Usually only takes one...maybe two at the most to pop them over even after a wipeout! :)

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
I had a 2000 XR400. Great bike but way too heavy for me in the tights woods compared to the KDX. You can't flick the XR around like the KDX. I have a lot more fun with the KDX.

Once jetted properly, the XR400 can start most of the time with 2 kicks. If you want a reliable 4-stroke with tons of bottom power you have your bike. If you ride tigh woods. I would get a XR250 instead.

Patrick

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I know for a fact that the XR400 has a better resale value. I moved mine pretty damn quick.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I hear ya there.... I sold a 85 XL350 stripped down for woods for $1400 last year... bought my 95 KDX for the same. 10 years difference!

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
TThere is no reason to go to the xr. The kdx is a great bike. The best woods machine!The best play bike! The best fun machine! The best trailbike ever made! Easier to kick and lighter so easier to push.

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
When I got back into riding I bought a 2000 XR400. Had it about 5 months. After that I had a 96 KDX200 before moving to an 02 KTM250EXC. We also have a stock 02 KDX200 for my wife. There was also a KX250 in there somewhere.

I have to say that I wish I would have made the KDX my first bike. To me, the KDX was just way more fun than the XR. The weight difference was huge, the kdx felt much smaller plus it costs a lot less. I could have done some basic mods and been grinning ear to ear for a few years. The XR just seemed too heavy and boring.

I definitely wouldn't consider trading a KDX for an XR as an "upgrade". I'm sure the XR fits a certain riding style, I know there are a lot of people real happy with them. I would just think you would be dissapointed since you already own a KDX.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
KnobbyJake if you do get the XR400 just please have the courtesy to move to the right when you see the KDX green coming on behind you.And have some extra face filters as well :)

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Fuzzy Dice said:
KnobbyJake if you do get the XR400 just please have the courtesy to move to the right when you see the KDX green coming on behind you.And have some extra face filters as well :)

:laugh: Will do Fuzzy! Gentlemen, as always thanks for your insight. I forgot about the kickstarting, that's another plus! I'm usually much more secure in my purchasing decisions, but for some reason, until I get to ride my Kaw I keep having nagging nabobs of negativity. Thanks to you guys for always rebuilding my confidence! :thumb:

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
xr400

I had a xr400 and once you get the excess weld cleaned out of the head pipe they are a lot of fun. unless that is you get into a lot of real tight gnarly single track. for a while I owned the xr400 and a kdx200. if i was rich i would own a lot of bikes at the same time. if you don't get into tight trails my 400 was more fun. the 4 stroke power is neat and fun on fire roads and jeep trails. the trails I have ridden lately are so tight that many riders don't get above 2nd gear on the whole ride. that is not the place for an overweight xr400. for a play bike to ride with a wife and small kids only I think I would prefer a xr250.

bob

cacvpaiva

Dec 9, 2003
I tried an XR400 in tight single track trails near Sao Paulo-Brazil; I have a 2000 KDX220. The owner of the Honda usually races cross country and rallyes up to 6hrs. The Honda seems to have a enormous wheelbase which is very bad for tight trails and its RaceTech-modified suspension did not come even close to my stock KDX. Fortunately it did not stall even once. . .

ABS13

Apr 15, 2004
I've ridden an XR400 and own a DRZ400E in addition to my KDX220. All are excellent examples of their class, although I'll take the extra weight of the DRZ over the XR to have e-start. The XR (and DRZ) are excellent 4-stroke cruiser-weights - strong off the bottom and a linear powerband to the top. In the open, big bore thumpers rock. In the woods, the KDX is just too much fun for people. The only thing I miss is the compression braking from a 4-stroke when descending really steep hills. To sum it up, when I ride my big thumper, I enjoy it in a serious-bike way. When I ride my KDX, I seek out goofy stuff and have a ball. Kind of a blonde/brunette discussion - different, but both good!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…