Any LEO/SpecOp types here? Question.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okiewan said:
Brian; know where I can find Oklahoma's definition of "assault rifle" ?
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ok
2009 to date the site is. I mistated the wait period of assault rifles by law, it is a show promoter issue. Used assault rifles are still done deal at the time of purchase, regardless of the seller.
Another loop hole is that dealers will rent more than one table or space and have an individual run the space. Technically, the seller has purchased the new firearm from the dealer and then resells it as used even though it is new in the original packaging. I suspect this is illegal but it continues. The paper trail leads to the seller from the dealer and the seller no longer has to record who or when the firearm was sold, when or to who and no wait time.
Sorry to have side tracked this thread. A side note to my recent gun show experience. Since I happen to know quite a few LEO's, I spotted many of them in plain clothes watching the show goers. The two or three uniformed officers likely had 12-15 backups in plain clothes. This was one of the smaller shows promoted by Metcalf. The Wannemacker show will be in town in 2-3 weeks and is about 10 times larger.
I intend to go to check out the numbers of show goers and look for people I have met that are, might I say, questionable in their motivations.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't think that counts, Swifty. There are probably no "limitation" per se, because there is no definition of an "assault weapon" in Oklahoma. I don't believe there's any limitation in Idaho either.

I think the only places you'll find them banned is where they came up with a definition for them, only so they could find a way to put limitations on them.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
This is not a loophole, it's a straw sale and is illegal...enforcement issue.

The individual running the 2nd table can get 10 years for that.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Pred, I am not trying to be a know it all expert here. I'm researching much of my info as I go and it is only as reliable as the source. News reports of legislative issues surrounding "assault rifles" seems to always be in the works, definition or not. I am an expert in a number of areas, this is not one of them. Until recently, I really paid no attention to the gun shows or other issues unless it was in the news, primarily when Oklahoma passed the concealled carry law.
If fact, when this thread first started, I had not even been to a gun show. I started asking questions from gun enthusiasts, LEO's, retailers, and web searches based on my recent business transaction for delivering a gun safe. I have no intention of misleading anyone, if I mistate something and corrected, I appreciate the effort made to correct me. I have full intention of being better informed and insure that I comply with all the laws governing the sell, purchase, and ownership of firearms.
I don't know how successful challenges to existing state laws will be in the coming year but many feel that the federal laws WILL change due to the 111th Congress and the new President. Like it or not, federal law changes will effect state laws that are less stringent so on a state level, there may be little or no say so in how the laws are changed. Thanks to everyone for expanding my knowledge of this subject. If the temperature wasn't 16F right now I'd go ride my bike or "gag" work.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
James said:
This is not a loophole, it's a straw sale and is illegal...enforcement issue.

The individual running the 2nd table can get 10 years for that.
You are better informed than I. Still happens and there does not seem to be inforcement unless it is just very, very quiet, uh uh uh uh.(Elmer Fudd voice off)
Funny thing about this is, a single round fired through the weapon makes it used, period. Nothing in Oklahoma to prevent that, at least that I have found. Still looking.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Interesting read: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=193
There was a case in Oklahoma a year or two ago where a guy was fired for having a hunting rifle in his personal vehicle on his employers property. A anti-hunting employee turned him into management as suspecting him of violating the company policy of "no firearms on the property". The company required this man to allow a search of his vehicle or be terminated. He consented and then was terminated for having the rifle in his vehicle. He sued and won for civil rights violation. I don't know if I can find the article but I'll see if I can locate it.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000

My employer has the same dumb rule in their employee handbook. Everyone still carry their rifles during hunting season.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm not busting your balls or nothin', Brian, just saying that you are definitely going to get a slanted opinion from anything and everything that has to do with the Bradys.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
truespode said:
James is usually better informed that I as well but I still continue to try and baffle him with BS at every opportunity :laugh:

Ivan

I enjoy a "good" discussion (thinking back to a particular Brushy Mountain trip :nener: )

Good times!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Gee I wonder why our resident expert Crackball hasn't opined? Perhaps too busy playing war or perhaps there is a Steven Segal / Rambo movieathon.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
From Oklahoma law:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
In Georgia they recently changed a similar law. Previously, employers could demand that you not have any weapons in your car. Now, they can only do so if they provide secure, guarded parking.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okie, can you PM me a link to that source?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
XRpredator said:
I'm not busting your balls or nothin', Brian, just saying that you are definitely going to get a slanted opinion from anything and everything that has to do with the Bradys.
Same thing with the NRA, the truth is somewhere inbetween.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks!

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
Where i work i am surrounded for guards with m-16 and they carry side arms, but we are not supposed have guns in our vehicles.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
You guys got all serious and took the fun out of this thread. I'm going to the mall to cause some trouble.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…