any tips Installing heavier fork springs

Mar 2, 2005
Gday there, Iv`e just bought a set of 40kg race tech front fork springs for my 2000 mod kdx.Any handy tips on installation+ fork oil weight and amount of oil.
Any tips would be well appreciated CHEERS Paul

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I put the same springs on my 05 220r. You'll get alot of diffrent opinions on this but this is just what I did. There is nothing special you should know or any special tool you should have. I just took the old springs out and droped the new ones in. I did put new preload spacers in (I think it was 8mm) but I didnt change, add or subract any fork oil. I just made sure most of the oil dripped off the old ones. You will notice a diffrence with the fourties installed just dont forget to play with the clickers.

ELF

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
check back a week or so in this forum - there is thread there on this topic

Mar 2, 2005
preload question

G`day elf,I`m still trying to get my head around this preload .My r-tech springs were just about exactly the same length as the original ones.why did you have to put different preload spacers and how do you go about it.Iput the original preload spacer in but they seem a bit rattly when you shack them.Is this normal? CHEERS Paul

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I put everything together without the preload spacer then measured the gap from the top of the spring to the bottom of the cap nut (with washers) that is the spacer size. Then you have to add preload (how much depression you want on the spring) which is usually 5-10 mm I think. Make sure you push down all the way on the spring and pull up on the nut then measure. Also do a forum search "preload spacers" and my old post will come up and it might better explain.

ELF

Mar 2, 2005

Ahhhhh now i get it CHEERS Paul

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…