FNG

May 2, 2008
So I sold my 95' YZ250, which Yamaha recommended 95 octane. I mixed 1/2 gal of 110 and 1.5 gal 92 with no detonation.

I just picked up an 01' YZ125 and again Yamaha recommends 95 octane.

Looking at buying a barrell instead of driving 30min everytime I need fuel.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The Yamaha minimum requirement is 95 RON. It's common for US fuel to have a 10 point spread between the RON and MON ratings (called the fuel's sensitivety), so some quick math (R+M) / 2 gives us:

( 95 RON + 85 MON ) / 2 = 90 pump octane or AKI

So essentially any pump premium (93-91) in the US will "technically" satisfy the minimum octane requirement of 95 RON. Testing is the best way to tell if your bike will be happy on pump fuel.

Outside of the US the number at the pump is RON, so the numbers are larger but the fuel has the same basic octane rating when compared using the same test methods.

VP Motorsport 100 is a reasonable choice, but might not actually be necessary.

Last edited:

FNG

May 2, 2008
Thanks for the post, that is good info.

Trouble I found was my 250 would detonate no matter what pump premium I ran. When I mixed I had no issues. Granted this bike had a very high squish velocity and was prone to deto. I read Eric Gores book and followed his recommendation and cut the squish band to allow for pump premium and the bike responded well to this mod.

Now with the 125 and me being 215lbs I want to make sure it gets good fuel. I am one to want all the performance I can get so I will be jetting this bike to my liking so I want good, consistant fuel.

The VP100 is rated @ 95 or 96 motor octane, I forget, with an R+M of 100 octane. Knowing enough to not want to run more octane than necessary I am looking for personal experiences from the forum.

Is pump premium in fact safe to run in my 125 or have people experienced detonation? I guess that is one of my most pressing questions.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom