Anyone else notice??? Or is it just Ohio?

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
There are some issues that contribute to job loss, the biggest one is the exchange rate with Chinese currency. Thats is being worked on, right now it is anywhere from 25% to 40% low. This artificially lowers the cost of anthing being exported out of China.

Germany has 12% unemployement, we are at 5% who really has it bad ? We never get much below 5% unemployment anyways.When we do wages rise and we get inflation.

There is opportunity all around, you just have to look for it.

I personally will try to buy US when possible. There may be an ATK in my future.

I should add that in the automotive business, European auto companies will be building new plants in the US because the exchange rates make us 30% cheaper right now. Good for us, bad for Europe. Exports to Europe from the US will increase as well.

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Beyond my workplace, local government are cutting jobs left and right.

OK, so the state and local gov'ts are in a pinch. You either cut costs or raise taxes. Which would you rather have? Cuz I know for a fact that you nor I nor Gov. Taft can't bend over and pull money out of his :moon: .

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Flyboy500 said:
. . . Aldof Bush
no, it's Adolphus Busch. The Budweiser guy.

I wouldn't put too much into what he says about the economy. He only knows beer.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Jaybird said:
the average yearly wage that the UAW Skilled Trades worker at a certain Ford plant was $130,000.00 last year.....
And I would bet that a large part of than income goes in to "things" rather than some kind of investment for the future. Then a raise comes along and instead of putting that into some kind of investment it goes to more and better "things". Then when times get tough and that nice pay rate is harder to find or those raises are harder to come by it's somebody elses fault that the money isn't there.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
BTW, Ron Tater Salad White is really funny, not because he makes stuff up but because he tells true stories that people can relate to!
Example:
"My retirement plan was. Maybe something really neat will happen."

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Patman said:
And I would bet that a large part of than income goes in to "things" rather than some kind of investment for the future. .....Then when times get tough....

We have quite the opposite over here. People are sitting on their money, don't buy much and prepare for the "tough times". I think your economy is much better off with lots of people throwing around lots of money.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think there is a middle ground Frank. I am a firm believer of the boy with the most toys wins but I also try to keep it in perspective.

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
$130,000 /year! :rotfl: In local 856 not a chance! Not even if we lived at the job 24/7! Here's an idea for the American Worker : Stay home when not at work and don't enjoy life, don't spend any extra cash on dirt bike parts and don't buy a $7,000 dirt bike! Ok enough is enough! Iamb going out to do some maintenance on my 1990 BUICK GRANSPORT the one with 185ka miles purchased for $350.00 3 years ago...... Yesterday I worked on the 1985 Ford Ranger... Whoz spending money! :laugh:

It's tax time! Would you like to donate 3 dollars for the election fund???? :moon:
It's tax time! Would you like to donate 3 dollars for my DIRT BIKE fund?????? :)

Last edited:

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Flyboy500 said:
It's tax time! Would you like to donate 3 dollars for my DIRT BIKE fund?????? :)
Is there anyway I can get in on this too :rotfl:

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
It's not just Ohio. I'm in PA now and the unemployment rate here is over 10%. I had to Move to PA because I couldn't find a job in Ohio. I think Cleveland is one of the poorest cities in the Nation now.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
10% unemployment in PA? What is your source for this info?

The national unemployment average was reported at 5.2% for last month. Seems to me if this is true, and the info you are giving is true, Bill, then there must be at least one other state that is absolutely kicking ass in the employment relm. Only makes sense if the natl. avg. is compiled using a 10% figure for PA, yes?

OR...perhaps such figures are only a ruse to make you feel more misreable. Besides, the left needs you to be miserable and to have a bleak outlook on life. If you were happy and content, the liberal left would have no more reason to even exist.

BTW....the recent reports also state that there have been over 2million jobs created last year...which is what the President predicted would be the increase in jobs, after the economy got a jump start by several things...most importantly the tax cuts.

Y'all stay in your gloom-n-doom mode. There has to be someone for the declining left to pander to.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
When do people appear in these unemployment statistics in the US?
I'm asking because in Germany they changed the way of counting umemployeds recently. Until last year they didn't count people living on social welfare (Sozialhilfe) as umemployed. Now they do include these people in their statistic and that suddenly bumped the unemployment number over 5 mio.
Everybody screams and panics now although in fact nothing much has changed.
Just an example what statistics are worth, in my opinion.

B

biglou

Jan 2004 seasonally adjusted UE rate in PA as a whole is 5.3%. 0.3% below the US average. Higher in some areas of PA, lower in others. 5.3% is kinda like 10%, I guess. Facts are hell on theory, aren't they?

Source: http://www.maic-redi.com/labor.pdf#search='unemployment%20rate%20in%20pennsylvania'

Ah, Jaybird, you incorrigible rapscallion! :laugh:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Personally I think the labor unions have done more to drive manufacturing jobs overseas than to keep skilled American workers employed. Labor unions were a cash cow for the mob. They have outlived their usefulness to the American worker. Now instead of the mob making money off someone else's sweat, it's upper management. Those at the top get a big bonus when costs go down and profits go up. The American worker tolerated it when "Tony Soprano" was getting rich, but God forbid a CEO get a huge bonus for sending jobs overseas, reducing costs and increasing the value of company stock.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Yes, there is allot of truth in that. Around here these days most union jobs are govt. jobs. and some construction. Those which can't be exported. As far as manufacturing of anything goes, people vote with their pocket book.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
KX02 said:
As far as manufacturing of anything goes, people vote with their pocket book.

And they normally vote by buying the least expensive products. And the least expensive products are likely to be made overseas by folks who make $40 a week, not $40 an hour.

Top Bottom