Anyone Ever Buy A refurbished Jacuzzi?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
My friends gave me the idea that I need a jacuzzi in my backyard and had gone ahead and contacted someone on Craig's List about a Free spa that was for the taking. Well, that one didn't pan out (I think I was a little relieved ;) ) but it did plant the seed that perhaps finding the "right" used spa would be a cost saving.

I started keeping an eye out on Craig's List and there are plenty to choose from. I found one that I am very interested in. It happens to be a refurbished 8-seater, a 1996 model. The asking price is $1200 and they can also delivery, probably for a little more. The company that is listing it, Sensible Spas, appears to be a legit business.

My gut feeling is that $1200 is too much for a model that is 12 years old. Also, I do not know all the right questions to ask about what has been refurbished, etc.

Advice please!! Thanks.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I would think as long as the "tub" portion isn't all rough and full of cracks, and if the "legit business" can show paperwork on the pumps and aerators and whatnot, it should all be good.

I haven't priced a new one of late, but $1200 don't seem all that bad. You do have to take into account the 50 amp service you'll have to put out on the deck to run it, though, unless you know a good electrician that'll work for beer (I know one :))

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
We had one for years Nat, I'd NEVER have an old/used one though! Ours came from my mom's house after she passed away, it was a Dimension One maybe 6 years old at the time. It was fine for a few more years and then the pump went, got that fized and the motor went, got that fixed and a card in the control module went, then the GFI and some wiring crapped out and then the card went again, the heater went a couple times as well. It was a 120V unit and if I decided to get another one it would be 220V so I could have heat AND bubbles at the same time without having to eat a can of beans.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Haha Pantsman! I will need to post a sign about no bean eating prior to getting in the tub.

This one is 220V. Its a Cal Spa Brand. I'm going to go look at it this morning.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
All the parts run from 100 to 300 a piece to replace a piece. That cotrol unit is another story. As long as the tub is sound and looks good, it is worth it. Most 220 units can be wired for 110. Price a new one? Aches and pains disappear at 105 degrees. Does it come with a cover?

Xander Crews

Sep 23, 2008
Why would you buy a used hot tub? All of that residude would still be everywhere. Ew. I actually buy a brand new hot tub every year because I know what I have done in mine and frankly, it grosses me out.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Xander Crews said:
All of that residude would still be everywhere. Ew.

"resiDUDE" ??? Ewwwwwwww

Seriously though, a good cleaning with the proper chemicals (which I'd do again even if they said they did it 7 times with the refurb) and you have nothing to worry about.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Ours is an old hot springs 1986 model, Amy got it at a Garage sale for 25 bucks. I had to replace the heater pump and the cover, but thats all in the 5 years we have had it. It sits full outside until January and gets filled back up in April. Nothing better then watching it snow in the hot tub :nod:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Residue? A bleach mixture kills aids, what the heck do you do in the tub? Caligirl, if that tub needs a 50 amp service, it is not one of those that can get wired to 110, or is it recomended getting an electrician that likes booze on the job!! The cold climate here, having it outside did not last long! I was a happy camper when it fit through the back door and slid down the stairs! The last one for a friend ended up removing the stairs and door. The chemicals are a daily thing, but no where near as bad as a pool! Stay on top of water up keep and you will not have to replace it yearly. Mine is under 300 gallons with the 40 gallon gas water heater, and the water lasts about a month with daily usage before I give up on it. The filter gets cleaned weekly.

AwesomeX

Sep 23, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Residue? A bleach mixture kills aids, what the heck do you do in the tub?
Ease your mind, terrestrial! Please don't concern yourself with the antics of known philanderer and philatelist Xander Crews.

The Xtacles and I will keep an eye on him from our vantage point on the Xcalibur. Please to be enjoying your local sports team at the Haggar Pants Arena.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If it's through a company see if you can get a service plan with it, that way the repairs can be less drastic. ;)

Your new Indian name will be, "GETMETOCAINASPA", enjoy.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
$1200 for a 13 year old Cal is too high. A Cal is not a spa i recommend to my customers as a good used buy. The parts are proprietary to Cal, pretty expensive and in general the tub is getting near its useful service life. The brands i would look for are Hot Springs, Tiger River, Pacific Marquis or just plain Marquis and Sundance. Brands to avoid when any older than about 6-8 years old are Cal, Morgan, Baja, Catalina, Vita and any other of the literally hundreds of brands that pop up and go away form time to time. D1 is another that can be just a plain money pit

If $1200 covers your delivery, setup, cover (less than 2 years old, but i would insist on a new cover) and chemicals then maybe but again I wouldn't be looking at a Cal. those used spa "deals" are what keep my busy during the winter when they turn into not such a deal

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
I'm not sure I could overlook the fact that you're buying something that has 12 years worth of sex romps in it. Oh, if this tub could talk..

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks for the uhhh, advice ;) I like my new Indian Name, Elk. I went over and looked at the spa and when I saw the size of this 8 seater Cal Spa I knew then and there that it was way too big. Not to mention there was a bit of redwood rot at the bottom that I didn't like at all. Over on the other side of the shop was a 5 seater Non Redwood spa and it was only 6 years old. Its a Free Flow Legend and I just love it. Got it for $1100 (they were asking $1300) and they are even going to deliver it and set it up for free. I only live about a mile from their shop. It is the kind used for Sports Rehab. It has a cover on it that is only two years old and all the main parts have been replaced (pump, heater, controls, etc.). This hot tub was purchased from this company originally, and traded in for a newer model. It is 110V, however it can be changed over to 220 if I decide that's what I want. Right now, I can just plug it in and its good to go.

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks Pred,

Love GETMETOCAINASPA

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Here is my Spa!

Attachments

• 12b145133ZZZZZZZZZ89kda3dd4461ef51ca4.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 117127137ZZZZZZZZZ89jfa8dcc1c0e64171a.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 97

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
You forgot the can of beans, uhhh, I mean "jets". ;)

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Pred,

Get with the times.
You don't need beans and you can ditch the wash board. Now everyone is using this, but remember you will need the optional weed guard:

Attachments

• trollingMotor.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 99

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm gettin' too old for beans, Natty. I seem to get intestinal rebellions any more :(

but I do have that washboard, just not on my stomach . . .
Mully said:
Pred,

Get with the times.
You don't need beans and you can ditch the wash board. Now everyone is using this, but remember you will need the optional weed guard:
indeed, mulls, because everyone knows you don't wear any clothing in your hot tub, and I wanna guard my "weed" in any way I can.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I see Hot Springs Spas have been mentioned several times.

FWIW, I had a Hot Springs spa back in the early 90's and it was excellent. Definitely a quality unit. Glad to hear their quality remains high. If I was in the market for a new or used spa, I would look to that brand based on my previous good experience.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
This is in Northern WI, It was a marketing point with Hot Springs, back in the day anyway.

Kevin

whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The cold climate here, having it outside did not last long! I was a happy camper when it fit through the back door and slid down the stairs!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Wooo Hooo Club Moto then to Natty's soooooo convenient :laugh: :cool:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
rickyd said:
Wooo Hooo Club Moto then to Natty's soooooo convenient :laugh: :cool:

Must be Feng Shui! :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…