88KDX200

Aug 27, 2006
I've tryed searching and have found a few opinions on the bikes put not many. I am looking to trade my 01 ttr225 for an 88 kdx200 in MINT condition. My uncle got a deal that he couldnt pass up and now wants a play bike for his son, and my 225 seems to fit him well. I'm 19 and 6'1 and 190 and have out grown the 225 and i'm in the market for a new bike. I've heard alot of good things about the KDX200's but i notice most of them are liquid cooled and the 88 is air cooled. Is this a draw back? The big debate is that my uncle is willing to trade me either the KDX200 or a 95 XR250 that is also in quite nice condition. I haven't rode the XR but the powerband on the KDX seems very fun and powerful. Which bike would you guys go with, and would you have any doubts going with the 88 KDX for any reason? Thanks!

DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
An 88' KDX is a nice bike, nothing wrong with air-cooled. I owned an 83' back in the day and knew of a few others in that timeframe. All good bikes. I'd just be a bit nervous about parts availability - almost 19 years old now... Perhaps someone else here can chime in on that. Maybe try posting in the KDX forum if you haven't already.

XR's are great, bulletproof bikes. Though the power is much milder than the KDX.

From the sounds of it, I'd say save up some $, sell your bike, and buy a newer KDX200. Or try a 250 2stroke MX bike if you want "fun and powerful"!

Best of luck...

shark toilet

Aug 9, 2006
the xr is worth more in terms of monetary value, but id say the kdx will be a lot more fun. if you're a total beginner the xr will be fine, though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom