Are all bikes jetted the same by dealers

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Will a bike that was sold by a dealer at a high altitude be jetted different than one sold at a dealer at a lower altitude. Would a bike jetted for 10,000 feet start at 1000? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have never had a dealer change jets for me at 4500 ft. they usually say...Try this or that....but I never had one do it without asking.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
As far as ive ever known, they take 'em out of the box and slap 'em together.
Jetting is up to you.
hmmmm, i wonder how that affects the warranty?
As far as it starting at 1,000', i imagine so. I think they jet em at the factory pretty close to sea level. ;)

I didnt realize how crappy a bike runs at high altitude until going to DW.
(Stillwater must be MUCH closer to sea level than Farmington!)
Ol' "Flash" was pullin the front tire off the ground in the first 3 gears at Cooperland. She's lucky to get it off the ground in second up here. :( :whiner:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Altitude makes a huge difference. I noticed it most on a compact car I drove to california. Man, was that thing powerful at sea level. I needed pedals in Salt Lake.

I wonder if there is a percentage ratio in power vs altitude?

I also know that when the supercross race is in Utah, the factories rent a track on the outside of town. The spent the whole week setting their bikes up for the altitude.

I felt honored when David Villimins mechanic threw me out of the complex.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I have heard it was 3-3 1/2 % drop for 1000 feet. Obviously two strokers have to worry more about it than those on a four stroke. Just strange that the dealers take that little time yet they charge you a set up fee.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Rcannon
I wonder if there is a percentage ratio in power vs altitude?

3 percent power loss per 1000 feet of altitude is a pretty accurate guage compared to sea level.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by Shift-MX
After having my bike ported...it changes about 15% per 400 feet...wouldnt be getting that done again.

maybe try getting your head ported next time? :silly:

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Most don't. My local Honda dealer (see sig line) jets all his off road bikes on the theory that they won't run as designed if he doesn't. I have helped kids at the track with brand new bikes that ran so poorly they were dangerous, a dealer just let em go. I also know a frined in Denver was quoted a $1000 set up fee pon a new CR450f and an ADDITIONAL $125 to jet it :flame: How do those guys sleep at night?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom