Are all port/head jobs by Eric G done w/ TSR?

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Just wondering if that is what is used all the time for his motor jobs. I may get a KTM 125sx and don't know if he works w/ the software for just the Jap bikes. I'm pretty sure he has big-bore kits for the KTM as well, but I didn't know if he has all the data in the PC for the KTM line for port/head mod. Kinda weird, but it seems that there aren't a lot of tuners who work on KTM.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The TSR software is one of the sim tools Eric uses. He also uses Dynomation 2-stroke. On the rare occasion he still uses the crude software I wrote long ago :)

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Holy crap, you actually wrote a software program for port design? That's sick man, your scaring me. I know you and EG are buds, but honestly, do you think that I will get the best performance from his motor job? I called around to see who was doing what for the KTM's and I got a lot of,"we can do the usual port/head mod for better blah, blah,blah". The KTM's seem so fast bone stock, they are probably just lapping some of the surfaces and polishing the crap out of the head to give it a nice shine job. I don't want off the shelf standard stuff. I admire the craft and work that goes into engine design, so I can appreciate when someone is the real thing. This board is filled w/ a lot of people who have EG's motors, and they all seem very happy w/ what they have. I was just curious about the KTM line b/c no-one really talks about it much here. I will probably go w/ EG, he seems to be the name everyone is dropping lately and his reputation speakes for itself. I like to kinda root for the underdog too. I do have a dream bike in mind,,,
125sx w/ EG 144cc, Wolf ignition, SST pipe/silncer, V-Force, etc,,,I think Marcus G said it would make around 38HP. That would be sick,,,,,,illegal, but sick. :aj:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I trust Eric's abilities without reservation friend or not. I can probably count on one hand the number of people in the performance industry I'm willing to say that about.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The KTM 144 is a very fast bike-i have rode one-a 133 KTM will beat a 250 in the right hands and can pull 3rd gear starts on slick surfaces.The 144 is just plain fast.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Thanks for easing my mind- BTW, Marcus you rode a 144cc? I can imagine the motor was a blast, how was the susp? Do you think that the 144cc kit will fair in the Vet class? I know we are getting off the subject a bit. Sounds like I'm getting the 144cc, when I get the bike that is.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The engine was great-it has lots of roll on power and a really strong mid-top is a tiny bit flatter than a 125 but thats not how to ride a 144.It works so well apart from screaming it to the rev limiter.It will keep with 250s but dont expect to keep with 450s.However a KTM400sx only has 38hp so that should be easy meat.The suspension however isnt a match for the power-jer maybe able to do great things with it ,but i couldnt get it to work as well as a std cr.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
My last 144 was an 01 yz and our best run on the dyno was 37.9 at 11k. Eric did the cylinder and Pete and i tuned it in on the dyno. We used a 00yz carby which is a 36mm vs the 01's 38mm and had no problem with peak power or over rev. The bike was a blast to ride, like a works level 125 with good bottom, anyone who says 144's don't rev didn't ride this one :) :yeehaw: Marcus do you remember seeing this dyno chart?

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Yep steve i remember :moon: -maybe i should say they can have good top but lack the overrev :thumb: My 01Cr125 was unreal for overev-it peaked at 11.5k but held the power till 12.5k.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Guys, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Steve, maybe I should look at the YZ144cc instead? What else did you do to it to get that kinda power. What is a fun bike to ride? EG did the cylinder, did you guys do v-force, pipe, etc,,,?

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Jman, TSR makes many different programs for all aspects of motorcycle racing. I use PORT2000 and Compress for my daily porting tasks, its as handy as a calculator. Tom Turner of TSR specializes in programs to help drag racers. He's a world record holder himself. Many of his programs were written by him and some are enhancements of Blair-SAE code published in 1990. Tom added all the stuff he's good at, empirical data and ways to make it easy for tuners to enter baseline specs and work it the way they need to.
Every popular tuner in the motorcycle and snowmobile business use TSR software but few will admit it to the general public.

Some updates on the 58mm 144cc piston kits; I'm working with Vertex on a hyper-eutectic cast piston with a thick crown and lightweight skirts, in 1 thousanths increments. Its also going to feature a set of what can best be described as shoes that serve multiple purposes including preventing the clips from scouring the cylinder if they pop out, reduce piston slap and subsequent wear, and prevent cross flow between the exhaust to the transfers. I'll still keep the 58mm forged Wiseco, but that piston wasn't designed fo ultimate performance. It was intended as a durable replacement for 125s.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Jman. Have you thought about the YZ167? I read that you can bore and stroke the YZ125, to give 167cc.....i bet its a great bike to ride, but i wonder how long the rest of the engine lasts!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
oooops nearly forgot, now i have your attention ERIC, thanks for your help with the YZ, i am very happy, i dont know if you read my report but the low to mid port job seems to combine with the SST pipe quite well, it pulls really well from the bottom, but still wants to keep reving all the way to insanity. you are the man! :worship: ........and you didnt turn it into a trail bike either! :thumb:

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
They only way I would do that is either if EG strokes it as well, or if he told whoever how much to stroke it so it would work w/ the specs. I would hate to have him do all of the work, & then all the wrong port timing or whatever. Does EG stroke? Maybe crankworks could, but EG would have to tell them what the job would have to entail. Maybe I'm over doing this but is there only one spec or amount of a crank that can be stroked? I've seen pretty radical jobs w/ spacers etc,,,

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
The 167cc displacement is a bit much. Certainly its possible to cram that many cc's out of a little 125 but you end up fiddling with things that are out of you control, like finite amplitude waves.
The 167 piston is based on a snowmobile multi cylinder forging. I used one of those piston in a KX125 with a bore only. Its got a good burst off the bottom but I think that it raises the exhaust gas velocity too high at higher rpm and causes it to go flat. Besides that piston weighes too much and forces you to add weight to the crank.
I'm planning on stocking new Hot Rod brand crankshafts that are stroked 4mm by Crank Works over the winter. Hot Rod has an ambitious program to produce a full line of low cost replacement cranks for late model dirt bikes. We'll also offer the service of rebuilding engines and stroking existing cranks, then matching the top end parts to suit. In some situations we'll use spacer plates made by Cometic, some bike will use 2mm shorter connecting rods (99-2003 RM125) and some bikes will just get a head modification to accomodate the longer stroke.
Right now I'm working with Larry Witmer on a bore stroke kit for the 2002-03 CR250. Larry won the 45+ class at Loretta Lynn's Amateur Nationals recently with a stock displacement CR, so we're keen to sort out a 275cc kit for him over the next few months.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yep, i read about the YZ167cc in one of those comic books and definately thought it was too far. How long would the bottom end last on this sort of displacment!?!?!?!?

Sounds good that aftermarket cranks will be available though!

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
Just a quick question : when you increase the displacement of an engine, don't you have to build a specific expansion chamber for that engine ?

david

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
not really, since the total cc's only goes up by a small %age. the bore to stroke ratio does change so it can make the engines personality change (which the porting does also) so some types of pipe match up to the mods better than others. for example, i had bottom to mid porting on my yz250, but i run the FMF SST pipe which is known to be a revver so i was worried this wouldnt match up, but luckily it did....the porting helped the bottom but i didnt lose much top either

Tom125

Nov 11, 2001
Had E.G. do the motor in my kid 01 CR125 . Good quality work no BS.
Stands behind everything he does. Builds motors that crank.Will send all
my stuff to EG

flybytaco

Oct 2, 2002
eric i have a cr 250 01 i race in new england harescrambles and i want some info on how you could make it tractor like a 4 thumper and how much it will cost me

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
flybytaco - If you need info like that you'll have to contact Eric directly. www.ericgorr.com has info on how to contact him.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom