Argghhh- lost my kickstart lever!!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Drove 150 miles to my closest riding area and when I got there discovered that my kickstart lever was gone. I was able to bumpstart the bike and go riding, but being that I was alone (wife and kids back at the truck playing in the sand), I sure had to be cautious about stalling!!!

I'm HOPING that it fell off at one of my two riding areas here on the ranch and that I can find it tomorrow. Hope so, 'cause it's going to cost nearly $100 for the part!!!

There's one for a '89 KX250 on ****, but dunno if that'll fit or not....

:( :(

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
NM_KDX200 said:
Hope so, 'cause it's going to cost nearly $100 for the part!!! :( :(

bikebandit.com has it for $89.60 part number 544818-001. No I'm not affiliated with Bike Bandit in any way shape or form. Just trying to save a fellow KDX'er some bucks.
This may be an ideal time to check out FRP's shorty lever also. $69.95. Come to think of it he probably has a few stock ones laying around.

Hope you find the original.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Fredette says "backordered for 3 weeks". 3 WEEKS!!! If I don't find it tomorrow, I'm going to get good at bumpstarting this thing.... Oh well, something will work out.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
What part did you lose, the whole thing where the nut came off the shaft, or just the arm that is held on by the little clip?

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
KDXMAC said:
what is a FRP shorty lever?
FRP makes a kickstarter that is somewhat shorter than the stock kickstart lever. The theory is that the shorter length allows a faster spin on the motor when kicking it over.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
NM_KDX200 said:
Fredette says "backordered for 3 weeks". 3 WEEKS!!! If I don't find it tomorrow, I'm going to get good at bumpstarting this thing.... Oh well, something will work out.
Did you ask Jeff if he had a stock piece laying around that you could purchase?

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I thought the theory was that it allows you to kick it in tight areas without needing to put your knee up to your forehead! :laugh:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Same thing happend to me last year. I bought the FRP before I realized that it didn't come with the knuckle, nut, spring, ball and clip. After I got all of it, I then realized that I didn't like the shorty atall. (oppinions will vary on this). I sold my shorty and bought another OEM with all the parts for 89.95 from Ron Ayers. (everything but the nut). It takes me much less effort to start my bike with the OEM and the shorty caused me to ruin my boot soles as it hit my foot peg whenver I kicked it. Again, oppinions will vary as we have covered this before.
Oh yeah, that lock tight stuff is great. ;)

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
skipro3 said:
What part did you lose, the whole thing where the nut came off the shaft

The whole thing. There's a splined shaft sticking out of the cases and nothing attached to it. The nut must've come loose and away she went. I'll definitely lock-tite the new one, but I've been riding for almost 30 years and have never had a kickstarter come loose so this is a new one for me.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've got a used knuckle I could pass your way if you are thinking about getting a shorty lever.

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Yep, I lost mine a while ago too. Rode to the sand dunes. Shut the bike off and rested-looked down and it was gone! Bump-started it and rode home lookign for it on the side of the trail. Had to pay $90 for the new one and this time I put loc-tite on it!

libskater

Sep 26, 2003
i caught mine when the nut came off of it at my local riding area. felt something kinda hard and heavy hit my boot while i riding by myself and looked down quick enough to see my lever hit the ground. had to get a new nut and loctited that thing. been there for 4 months of riding and racing

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…