Asterisk-- comfort questions

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
just bought a pair and i'm having some comfort issues. i'm going to talk to asterisk tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone here is in between medium and large sizes--14 7/8 is right were i'm at(i have the mediums), and if the second quick release down from the top digs into your lower leg while bent. i had to relace the laces so it wouldn't use the eyelets closest to my knee, to stop them from pinching. also, how far can you bend your knee till it becomes uncomfortable. i'm just curious if others have had these problems, and possible fixes for it. maybe i'll try the larges. thanks

bug

Marklx

May 24, 2001
The backs of my legs are sore today, probably for the reason you are stating. but my legs are too short for the larges. Let me know what you come up with, as I love what the braces do for my knees, but could live without the soreness on the back of my legs.

As for bending my knee, I find no restriction. I'm wondering if you are putting them on a little low. When I first put them on at the shop, I had 'em too low, so they were pinching and restrictive. When they are at the right height, I feel no restriction; just the slight friction on the back of my leg from the laces, which I assume is because my legs are so short and stumpy.

Mark

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
mark,

called asterisk today.. gave them my measurements, medium is definetely my size. they said that it's ok to not run the laces through the closest eyelet to the knee, on the top laces-- i'm not sure about the bottoms. i did experiment with how tight i pull the laces. i think i was way to tight when i first put them on. now i just kinda snug them up. how hard is it for you to start your bike? can you bend your knee just as far as without your braces on? maybe i'm just one of the few that these braces don't fit
:(

Marklx

May 24, 2001
BuggyDaker,

Good idea about skipping that top eyelet. That is definitely what was causing my discomfort. I've worn mine 3 times now, and find that pulling the laces really tight is the best way to go. With the stocking on, it doesn't bother my leg, and it keeps the brace in place. I will say that they are much more comfortable with a few uses on them, and playing with the cuff adjusters made a huge difference in how they felt. I've got big legs, so getting the cuffs to fit right was critical. As they came, they were cutting off circulation.

Starting the bike is easy, but that is perhaps due to how short my legs are. I don't need to bend my knee much, as my inseam is barely 29". I'm only 5'6", so keeping the bike upright is my challenge. I can kneel on the ground just as far with the braces on as when off. There is some tension on the braces when I do it, but they flex just fine. If the pivot is over the right spot on your knee, it shouldn't restrict anything. Did you mail order them or buy from a shop? You might want to have an authorized cell shop look at how you're snugging them up, as they seem pretty versatile.

If they can fit my tree stumps, they should fit anyone. My legs are very short, but my thighs and calves really call for a large brace. The adjustments available on the brace allowed me to get things right, with a little patience and fiddling. I do need to buy some baggier riding pants, though, but that will be another day.

Mark

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Buggy,
If the buckle receiver is the main problem with your braces, I can probably fix it for you if you want to send them in. What exactly is the problem your having?

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
When I first got mine they were pinching my legs. Drove me crazy. So I just moved the velcro circular pads around that go near the knee out about 1/4 of an inch and now they don't pinch my legs anymore.

At first if you are not used to knee braces starting the bike with them is very different. After a few rides though I got the hang of it.

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
billywho,

the braces are fitting well now, as long as i don't tighten the top laces too tight. i was really tugging on them before. the quick release clasp that's the second one down from the top is still hitting my lower leg when i bend my leg. i kinda have a nobby thing sticking out of my calf there. it's the 'male' end of the clasp including the rivet holding it on. it just seems to be too close to the knee joint. it's a minor gripe that i'll probably never even notice while riding. my wife just told me to stop my whining:) these braces are beautiful though. well worth the money. when i first put them on they felt like they were made specially for me.

bug

kenkfish

Dec 16, 2000
I experienced the same exact isues with mine. What I found is that you need not pull the strings tight,also, this was important, wear the spandex sleeves with the braces and pull the extra bunching from behind the knee, I had Budman move the one connector farther away from the knee joint. Don't forget that the braces are not supposed to be tight for support, they will do their job as long as they are snug enough not to slide. And, try not to evaluate them without your boots on, the closure of your boot keeps them in place and snug. Good luck.

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
kenkfish,

tried em with my boots on, and they do seem to stay put better. how did he move the connector farther away? is it the same clasp that i'm talking about?

bug

kenkfish

Dec 16, 2000
Sorry for the moving the connector statement. I had Budman(active DRN contibutor) and highly skilled "engineer type" who has a large machine shop,slightly move the upper female clasp just a touch to help with my issue. I absolutely love the braces and have no problems shifting, starting or braking. I did that before I evaluated them with the stocking and not overtightening and with the boots on, so it may not have been needed. But I am still happy.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
That makes more sense :) , I had a bad vision of Buddy Antunez who would have no clue on fixing the braces helping you out LOL. Don't get me wrong, I love the Budman( Antunez), but a knee brace fixer he is not :) . Any thing else let me know.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…