Attention tuners: Expoy for shaping ports?

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
I am looking for some epoxy to place in the intake port of a four cycle research engine I am working with. I thought the stuff the 2-stroke tuners use to change port heights would be perfect. Exactly what do you use, and where can I get some. Thanks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've used the Moroso A/B putty type epoxy for years to fill in low spots and raise floors on ports on cast iron and aluminum heads. On some Harley applications I've been able to raise the floors .150" without problems with this epoxy.

http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=22001

Online sources like Summit Racing and JEGS as well as most good speed shops keep the Moroso stuff in stock.

I've found that the advantage to this epoxy over some of the others is the ability to grind it after it sets to form complex shapes. LPS has a single part aluminum impreged epoxy that works well for smaller changes on aluminum heads.

Eric generally uses the quick setting Duro 2 part (black & white) epoxy for transfer port changes. If you give him a call I know he'd be happy to go into more detail on the different compounds he has used and their relative merits. Over the years he has tried nearly all of them. :)

Good luck, and make sure you keep us informed on what you find in your research.

Last edited:

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
thanks for the info Rich. I ended up using Manley two part epoxy since it is the only thing the local speed shop carried. So far it seems to be working.

I would keep you informed on the research, but it is confidential work for an outside organization that is very secretive. Besids, I don't know how interested the DRN members are in diesel engine technology. :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by yz_387
thanks for the info Rich. I ended up using Manley two part epoxy since it is the only thing the local speed shop carried. So far it seems to be working.

It's the same thing as the Moroso stuff, it's just in a Manley wrapper.

Besids, I don't know how interested the DRN members are in diesel engine technology. :)

You'd be surprised. ;) Some of the most useful information I've found has been in diesel research. Feel free to post anything you find remotely interesting in the Advanced Technology forum. :thumb:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Besids, I don't know how interested the DRN members are in diesel engine technology. :)

:) I'm a hevey diesel mechanic, I would enjoy hearing anything new going on :thumb: 11 years under the belt of working on Cummins(V-8's), Detroit(V-6's), Continental(V-12's) and the 6.5L GM in the Hummer.

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
Well, if there is interest, I will keep you as informed as I can. Like I said, it is a confidential project, so for now I can't really say much about it. All I can really say now is that it is an attempt to reduce the particulate emissions from diesel engines. If things turn out well, I am sure a SAE paper would be published, at which point I could fill you in, but that is still a long ways off. Thanks again.

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
I too am very interested in diesel technology. I love to impress my bosses with getting inside scoop information on stuff before it beomes mainstream. (I am a firefghter and de facto mechanic, and the training budget is low, so I have to do it myself.)

Besides, all DRN'ers should have diesel trucks. It is the environmentally, socially and economically correct thing to do. Despite what the misguided greenies say, diesel pollutes less in the total picture due to engines and vehicles lasting longer, necessitating less engergy spent in new vehicle manufacture, and with biodiesel on the horizon and here today, we can cut imports of foreign oil, and besides, diesels get better economy.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
I've used the Moroso A/B putty type epoxy for years to fill in low spots and raise floors on ports on cast iron and aluminum heads. On some Harley applications I've been able to raise the floors .150" without problems with this epoxy.

Are we talking about intake only?
Are you running epoxy in an exhaust port?
Did I miss something?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Intake only with the epoxy. TIG only on the exhaust side :)

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Birken, while I agree diesels have their place, their not for everyone. If you have snow, and a diesel, it better be a 4x4 or that pig will sink to the bottom, and never come up....

I love my diesel, BUT they are one bloody expensive pig to rebuild. I have over $6K Canadian into a ford 6.9L because it dropped the oil pickup.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah my friends Power Stroker pulls like a freight train with the trrailer & the dirt car in tow . His older Chevy 502 was always searching for power, no real comparison and with the trailer and the diesel the thing gets about the same fuel mileage as with no trailer. Ive worked for FORD in the past aqnd I have seen those Strokes twist pinion gears in duallys. But when they do go ,they cost more than the gas job.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom