SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Rich, could you answer a quick question for me?

I read your article on AV Gas, and I have a question. I've tried my bike (GasGas EC200) on 91 octane pump gas and 100LL AV Gas and found that my bike runs much better on the 100LL. It idles more consistently and runs way cooler which works well for me in the woods. It does seem to have a little slower throttle response, but coming off an XR200R this doesn't bother me. Should I stick with running the 100LL? My bike manual also recommends 94 octane, which is not available in my area. The previous owner ran 100LL in the bike as well and that's what he recommended, but I really don't think he knew too much about the workings of the bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If it works for you go ahead and use it. It won't hurt anything in the engine.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Avgas

Rich knows of many better fuels than Avgas for dirtbikes. And I agree with Rich for the most part. However, I must add that there are a number of us with big bore 2 stroke dirt bikes running Avgas with excellent results.

I have recently discovered that my bike really likes 50-50 Avgas and Amoco/BP pump 93. For whatever reason, that combo is the best I have found. Better, in fact than the race fuels I have tried.

In addition, there are many involved in 2 stroke roadracing who have better engine life with leaded fuels.

I find the lawn equipment runs better on Avgas also. (aircooled low rpm, you know).

Chris

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Crisp throttle response for sure won't be found using LL.
And, even when jetted nicely, you will see spooge.

When I was using it in flat track dirt cars, my buddy and I would spend so much money on additives to help the 100LL that we could have bought decent fuel to begin with.
Moroso was sending me Christmas cards, as well as little airy kisses and winks.
Now that I'm old and stupid...I think back and realize that I had lots of fun being young and stupid.

Speaking of jetted nicely...I would amost bet money that if you tweek a bit more on your carb circuits, you'd find that your bike likes the 91 swill just fine, and will scoff at the LL. (shrug)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jaybird said:
And, even when jetted nicely, you will see spooge.

Same goes for pump fuel in most cases.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
My throttle response was better stock with 100LL than with my local pump gas (with ethanol).

The throttle response on my new E.G. 144 with 100LL is INCREDIBLE compared to the stock motor.

I can't wait until I get the race gas this week . . . Should get even better.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom