auxiliary gas tanks

MDA

May 27, 2002
I will soon be starting to ride on a rather extensive trail network here in Ontario. My 2002 KDX220R gets pretty good milage, but I was toying with the idea of an auxiliary gas tank as insurance on really long rides. The only place I've ever seen them was on the Baja Designs website. They have a model that goes in front of the forks (not pactical for a KDX with a light), or a rear fender mounted tank (looks flimsy).

Has anyone ever mounted an auxiliary tank on their bikes, and if so what did you think of it? Is it worth thinking about? Is it difficult to install/remove?

I'm a pretty slow rider (I'm new at this) and run mainly wooded trails. I play around at a MX track now and then, but don't race. I'm curious to see what people think of these outboard tanks.

-Mark-

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
i had one that mounted on the crossbar. i think they came in 1 or 2 quart sizes. i used it just as insurace on longer rides and it workied pretty well.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
That crossbar mount is my favorite for the KDX too. The front mount tank (replaces the number plate) is actually the better way to go but as you said it interfers with the headlight assem. The weight is carried lower on the front mount but I found that the 1 quart model of crossbar mount interfers very little - the secruity of having an extra "tad" of gas on those real long trips can help in the worry/walking department big time!!
I would NEVER consider going without my headlight for long rides, but that front mount does a great job - it actually uses the fuel out of the aux tank first (thru the tank vent hose) so as you ride the added weight on the front end is depleted! If you can fiqure out a way to use it and keep you headlight assembly intact you would have something!!
Enjoy your trip!!
Woodsy

MDA

May 27, 2002
What brand was the crossbar mounted tanks? I've only seen the type that goes over the number plate, and it would indeed interfere with the light, which I am not willing to give up. But a small crossbar mounted tank sounds like a good compromise.

Thanks,
-Mark-

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I have read of people re-plumbing the radiator overflow resivior and utilizing it as reserve gas.
Lew

MDA

May 27, 2002
Hmmm, re-plumbing the rad overflow is definitely more extreme than I am willing to go. I personally like the idea of having plenty of coolant in my system. Interesting suggestion however...

-Mark-

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Just something I had read....Not done. I am with you on keeping the coolant.
Lew

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
What about a IMS tank? bigger is better!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
IMS is 3.4 gals. I would think that would be plenty. I can go 50 - 60 miles with stock tank (2.9 gal).
Lew

MDA

May 27, 2002
Yes the IMS tank sure looks like it would do the trick. With that being said, it is quite expensive at $225.00 US. I'm going to have to reconsider this issue before I do anything. The KDX already has a fairly generous stock tank, so its not a clear cut issue I guess.

In any case, thanks for your input fellas... much appreciated.

-Mark-

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…