strider80

Feb 3, 2003
Is there any meaningful difference between the B8ES and BR8ES plugs for my 2000 KDX 200? I am sure one is probably a resistor and a non-resistor. Does it matter for KDX's? The reason I ask is Jeff Fredette sells the B8ES on his website.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes one is resistor, one is not.

The general consensus is that radiated noise generated from the use of non-r plugs may damage some electronics units. The kdx isn't noted to be one of the models that has that problem.

Still, considering the cost difference and the 'insurance' value (have you priced a sparky unit?) why NOT use an 'R' plug?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Unless you have a radio installed, dont worry about the R plugs on the KDX.

The resistor is the only difference between them. if you want a more top of the line plug, get the BR8EIX Irridium ones.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
The only reason I got a B8ES is because I ordered some stuff from Jeff Fredette and decided to get a couple of plugs at the same time, so I saw the 8 and went for it without thinking. He only has the B# plugs no the BR#. So if he sells them I will bet that they are probably okay.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
CDI units cost $321 :flame: back in 99. I know. I used a B8ES and within one day, the CDI on my 99 KDX was baked. I had ridden the bike trouble free for at least 600 or so miles up till that point. I checked the ENTIRE wiring harness on the bike (To make sure there wasn't another cause), but found nothing out of the ordinary other than the B8ES and a blown CDI.

I replaced the CDI and the plug (With a BR8ES) and rode for another trouble free 2000 miles and sold the bike. Now, maybe it was coincidence that it happened that way, but I'd hate to see it happen to someone else that had been warned.

As a side note, a good friend of mine has a 96 YZ 250 that will miss and stumble on the top end without a Resistor plug. When he replaces it with a resistor plug, no miss, no stumble.

-Kurt

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I suspect coincidence, not cause and effect. I ran B8ES only for a couple of years without issue and my CDI is the same part as yours. Chances are good your CDI would have toasted anyway. B8 & BR8 cost the same so I run BR8ES now (well, really a BR7ES – it’s a better heat range for woods riding, but that’s another conversation), but if I fouled a plug on the trail and someone offered me a B8ES, I would not hesitate to use it.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
It is entirely possible that it was coincidence, it just made me really nervous about trying it again in that bike. $321 is alot of money to have happen twice IF it really was the plug. ;) Once bitten twice shy...........?

You're probably right though, the CDI may have been on the fritz to begin with. Who knows?

-Kurt

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I had raised this very question in Advanced Tech a year or so ago and the consensus was as follows:
* Resistor plug supress Radio Frequency emanations that does affect radios but can also affect elctronic equipment (even your telephone has an FCC compliane ration for elctro- magnetic compliance)
* The extra resistance does not change performance; Rich R had info that their might be a tiny gain in performance when using a resistor plug when required vs not
* My 94 KDX has had non-resistor plugs its' entire life untill recently
* My bike likes S plugs better than fine wire type
* I think I have slightly better results (starting, fouling, engine snap. etc) with non-resistor but have not been using resistor long enough to be sure
* IMO use what the manufacturer recomends unless you realy see a performance difference; KDX's appear to be to stupid & simple to care (and I like that!) :yeehaw:

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
Any of thoughs plugs are fine I've been running chapion N-3 the same as the B8es for 8 years & race no problem at all only .80 cents a plug & tax, Your CDI must of all ready had a grimlem hiding inside just one of those things.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I've run B8's and BR8's in my 2001 220. I've heard "tales" of electrical damage from not using resistor types. I haven't experienced any yet, and I don't want any. The mere .50 to .75 cents difference in plugs is not worth the hassle. My .02.

Just for kicks this is qouted from Eric Gorr: Motocross & Offroad Performance Handbook
"Resistor Plugs
Non-resistor spark plugs give off excessive electromagnetic interference (EMI). This can interfere with radio communications. That is the primary reason why the manufactures recommend resistor spark plugs. In North America, engine manufactures must install resistor plugs in new engines because many people in rural areas depend on CB radios for their communication needs. In Canada, it's actually a law that you must use resistor plugs in your off-road vechicle."

"The resistor in the plug demands higher voltage to jump the gap. On older bikes, where components of the ignition system are deteriorating, resistor plugs might foul more often than non-resistor plugs or run rough because the ignition system cannot produce enough voltage to jump the gap. I don't recommend using resistor plugs because they are over-priced and offer no advantage in performance."

From page 23 of the 2000 printing.

Things that make you go Hhhhmmmm....... :think:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom