Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Calling all KDX tuners (Dan, Dave, Fish, CC, BRush, Fred, Sage, & all the rest)

Any advice on differences & best application in regards to B8ES vs B8GS? I'm afraid what might happen if I use a "Racing" sparkplug and we decide to just trail ride! Seriously though, the NGK website didn't help me decide & I figured somebody out there had already done the R&D.

TOFAS4YOU

Jan 4, 2002
JUST RUN THE B8ES THE FINE ELECTROD IS MORE LIKELY TO FOUL NOT MUCH PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE BUT THAT,S MY 2 CENTS WORTH FOR THE PRICE ITS BETTER TO RUN THE STANDARD PLUG

KruncH

~SPONSOR~
Jun 15, 1999
Nothing will happen except better ignition performance. I checked all of this out about a year ago and after speaking with the NGK rep, this is what he said:

The ES is the standard size electrode tip. I Can't remember now, but it's something like about 2.1mm. The EG is the racing plug and the electrode tip is 1.2mm. The EVX is their top of the line plug with an electrode tip .7mm.

Now what does all this mean I asked. It's been awhile but he said the smaller the electrode tip the less resistance there is for the spark to fire. A smaller tip means the spark is more concentrated and therefore is less prone to fouling and will produce a better ignition spark. The EVX plugs are what the professional racers use in speed boats, funny cars, dragsters, etc...

What are my results? Well, I've been using the BR8EG and BR8EVX plugs since then and like the results. If, and I do mean If, your bike is jetted very good, you can tell a difference just by how the bike ideals with the EVX plug in it. It will run smoother.

All of this is JMHO. You can do any harm using them when comparing them to the ES plug of the same heat range.

Hope this helps,

Roosting in East Texas :)

KruncH

~SPONSOR~
Jun 15, 1999
Sorry for the typo, I mean to say you CAN'T do any harm using them when comparing them to the ES of the same heat range.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The only danger will be to your wallet!. The B8EG will work just fine (same heat range and thread reach as the B8ES). I ran one once and decided there was no noticeable benefit. As I understand it, the advantage of a fine wire plug like the B8EG is that the smaller diameter, sharp edged electrode requires less voltage to form a spark than does a conventional electrode. According to the legendary Gordon Jennings, the difference becomes more pronounced over time as a conventional electrode is rounded and blunted by erosion. Perhaps sustained high rpm applications see some benefit? The real question is does a KDX require this extra edge? I'll stick to the BR7ES plugs I get at Advance Auto parts for $1.98 a pop.

Last edited:

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Well lemme tell ya a story of a man named Sparky, who had 3 different spark plugs of his own. One was a stocker, that sucked really badly, so he needed one all his own. So this man went to the store to meet a lady, who had many plugs of her own, he liked one of them the best, so he put his 7 bucks down!

:think And I've ran out of rhymes. The moral of this story is, the BR8EVX is more expensive but I have NEVER EVER fouled one. They last a good long time to boot. I've got all of last season on the same plug and still using it.

And thats the way.... we... became.... the Sparky bunch!

B.

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Tantrum
. I have NEVER EVER fouled one. They last a good long time to boot.

Maybe it's the expensive plug - and maybe not: I can't think of a time when I've fouled a plug on my KDX and I usually run "regular" BR7ES plugs. Jetting your bike and picking the proper plug heat range for your type of riding probably has more to do with it.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by BRush
Jetting your bike and picking the proper plug heat range for your type of riding probably has more to do with it.

I agree. I never fouled a plug with the BR7ES either.

B.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I agree - the only time that i have fouled a BR8/7ES plug on my KDX is when i let the bike run for extended periods of time in the inverted position. :confused:

Never tried the more expensive plugs - never saw the need to.

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
Options

For the tight wads out there... I have found that Champion 801C (N3C) plugs cross to the NGK BR8ES. The reason that I looked in the first place was that here in the metropolis, NGK and $5 go hand in hand. Being on a limited budget, I really needed to find an alternative. Did some research and found this cross-reference. I have been on the same plug for the past nine months from slow trails to sand dunes with no problems, yet. I get mine at Wal-Mart for $1.30. Hope this helps some.;)

Collin

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
How about this?

Has anyone tried the splitfire plug? I've only runf BR8ES and Denso plugs in mine. I was thinking of trying the splitfire plug.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
At O'Reilly's Auto, you can get the BR8EV for $3.50 and the BR8ES for $1.35. I would never pay dealership cost on plugs.

I run BR8EV in my 00 KTM250exc and have had very good luck.

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
Jim,
Either plug should work fine for you. I have honestly never fouled a plug on my kdx either but I do replace it fairly often (6 or so rides). I have used the the EV's and ES's in both 7's and 8's both on the trail and on the dyno and although I wasn't comparing plugs at the time I found very little if any difference between them. I do usually run a BR8EV in my bike.
Fred,
I did try the splitfires on my last kdx but can't see where they were any different either.Not worth the extra money. JMO--Dan

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Re: How about this?

Originally posted by Fred T
I was thinking of trying the splitfire plug.

I was thinking about using Splitfire plugs too, but I have plenty of rocks in my yard to throw at the noisy cat next door. As soon as I run out of rocks I'll try Splitfires because that's ALL they are good for :D

For some fun reading here's the details of the class action lawsuit against Splitfire :)

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal/split.html

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Rich I don't know how you do it. The tech articles (SAE, manufacturers data, etc) are always appreciated, but legal stuff? I always thought that the product & advertising hype was bogus and wonder if they use their product in sponsored bikes.You gotta love it.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's amazing what a relentless hype driven marketing strategy can do :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
When common sense and hype collide

Fact: Power 'comes in' to the sparky plug thru the center electrode (the one sticking through the used-to-be white stuff?), and 'goes out' to the bent one.

Fact: Electricity ALWAYS follows the path of least resistance.

Common sense says: When the spark plug sparks (once only when the field in the coil collapses), it's only going to spark ONCE..and therefore to ONE place.

So what on earth are multiple ground electrodes going to accomplish? Heck..it's not GOING to ground that's the problem!! Even a fouled plug finds ground easily enough...it's just not doing you any good in the process.

Enter the hype: A 'computer generated' (wow!!) graphic that shows all sorts of arcy-sparky things goin' on. What a light show!

What a crock of.............hype!

I didn't know there was a lawsuit generated. Great! They earned every penny of it (the split-fire people)!

What you need for a better spark is an electriks lighting coil! But...that's another story:cool:

Does MSD make a dirt-bike unit? (not that I know of) Now THAT would be cool!!

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Re: When common sense and hype collide

Originally posted by canyncarvr
Does MSD make a dirt-bike unit?

Yep

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
I've always used the BR8ES and had no problems, its what was called for stock and I've never seen the need to go to a EVX or EG. But now that you asked I'll go screw them into the bike and see what happens???

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mr. R...

Do you have a point of view re: the msd product?

I'd love to hear it!!

I've used it in my 'lil hotrod for years (a 6C). Man..does it work good!!!

BTW (for those not familiar)..msd stands for 'multiple spark discharge', an electronic box that fires the coil multiple times each cycle. Made by autotronics.

You may get (example) say, 10 sparks -one after the other- on one piston rotation. The number drops as the revs go up, but msd makes units that still put out multiple sparks up to gobs-o-thousands of rpm!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I sold my 01 CR125 before I had the chance to try them on a two-stroke so all I can do is speculate. The OEM ignition is a notoriously cost-reduced part of a motorcycle (i.e CHEAP) so it's ripe for improvement.

I've heard a few good reports from the karting guys running the MSD, but the CR is the only model I know of that is supported by MSD. Had I kept my CR I'd be running one :)

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
I would be interested in a MSD unit, but do they work on bikes? I had one on my 4x4 truck a long time ago, and it needed 12 volt power. Do they have units that work off the stock electrical system on our bikes? NE1 know?

B.

Top Bottom