Back, and hopefully for the last time..

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'0'' 153lbs, 15 y\o

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
im pretty aggressive about 8 1/2 out of 10, i like going fast

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
tracks, fields, woods...basically everything (idk about tracks though)

4) Do you have any riding experience?
no, i've rode some auto clutch quads though :whoa:

5) Do you think you will race ?
maybe a year after i get good

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
no, i'll probably bring it to a shop

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
i want a 2 stroke. not a kdx because they are too expensive in my area

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
everything, i'm looking at craigslist more though..

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
< $1500

10) Do you live in California?
nope, rhode island

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i am going to be riding with kids who own quads. one of my friends has a kx100..(only dirtbike out of all my friends), I think I would be good for a kx 125, because I would love to ride green

Last edited:

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
You are really close to my size and yea a KX125 would probably fit you great.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
At 6'-0" and 150 or so, a 125 would suit you better than anything smaller or bigger for a starter bike. I had a 1987 KX125 that was like a tank, couldn't kill that thing with a missile.

What part of Rhody do you reside and ride?

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
Rooster said:
At 6'-0" and 150 or so, a 125 would suit you better than anything smaller or bigger for a starter bike. I had a 1987 KX125 that was like a tank, couldn't kill that thing with a missile.

What part of Rhody do you reside and ride?

on the border of warwick and west warwick. i was speaking to some people, and they said a 250 would be good. i was like hell no i don't need that much power for my first bike..i'm right, correct?

Also, some people said that I'm too tall for a 125, is that true?

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
KX125 Seat height: 37.2 in.

KX250 Seat height: 38.0 in.

I wouldn't say that you are too tall at all.

The KX250 is going to be a beast for your weight. On a 250 you would run high chances of getting yourself into a really bad situation really fast.

Another thing is you'll never really know until you find a KX125 and sit on it. Check it out, make sure it feels good to you.

Good luck :cool:

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
Aryain said:
The KX250 is going to be a beast for your weight. On a 250 you would run high chances of getting yourself into a really bad situation really fast.

Good luck :cool:

exactly what i need to know, thanks :cool: :cool: :cool:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I agree with that thought, a 250 is a monster for someone at your weight. I was about your weight when I jumped from a RT185 (super pooch bike) to a YZ250 and got my butt handed to me several times, until I learned to handle it.

Your height really doesn't matter, all of the "full size" bikes are similar in dimensions. You may want to get taller bars, but for the most part you will be fine.

Look into getting registered in Mass, we go up there often. The trails at Franklin, Wrentham, F. Gilbert and Pittsfeild have been a blast. Franklin, Wrentham and Gilbert are the closest, so the drive isn't so bad. I'm pretty well all set with riding the power lines along 235, they have cops out there on quads busting people on a regular basis (from what I've heard, haven't been out there for over a year now). It's too bad, it's all just a wasteland, good for nothing but riding dirt bikes :)

Keep in touch, we always like to have new riders in our group.

fmx4eva

Jan 8, 2008
a kx 125 would probably be a harder bike to learn on as all racing style 2 strokes have a very short power band which will quite quickly throw you off the back of the bike. a 4 stroke 250 would probably more suited to someone who has had no expreience riding dirtbikes with gears and a manual clutch. they are less agressive for a learner and a lot safer with a broad power band that is easier to handle. height is not an issue there, as long as you can touch the ground it is fine. i would go for a 4 stroke 250 for 2 main reasons. the sudden burst of power from a 2 stroke when it hits power band can be hard to handle for someone with not much experiene, and also, 2 strokes are slowly on the way out, as the more economic 4 strokes are becoming more advanced and are better for the environment. also a four stroke requires less maintenance, with a 2 stroke having a recommended 10 hours of riding, or 1 race day before replacing piston rings etc.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
fmx4eva said:
with a 2 stroke having a recommended 10 hours of riding, or 1 race day before replacing piston rings etc.

:think:

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006

i'm paying for the bike myself, and i can't afford a 4 stroke.

rooster, is it really 10 hours for a new top end?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
thats what the manual says. But usually every year or racing season is a good time to replace the piston and rings.

Dont bee fooled the only low maintenance 4-strokes are the older air cooled ones. (like an XR250) The new age MX bikes (CRF, YZF, KX F) all require there valves to be checked and shimmed frequently. It talks as long to do that as it does to change a top end on a 2-stroke. And a a top end is about $100 (piston and rings) and if the cylinder needs done it costs me about $50 at my local shop.

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
thats what the manual says. But usually every year or racing season is a good time to replace the piston and rings.

I won't be racing, I'll probably just ride for around an hour a day for maybe 3 times a week..

how long could I get out of a top end if I ride like that?

Jan 3, 2007
One season and a bit. I say dont worrie about that because its a super easy job to do. Some modern 4 strokes like a Honda XR650R and KTM 525EXC RFS, Husqvarna TE510, and TE450 do not require alot of up-keep. I think on most of them your supposed to replace pistons 45-90 hours depending on usage.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Hhawk - As previously posted, the every 10 hours is a bit out of line, unless you are racing it hard. I do my two-stroke top end about once a year, depending on how many hours I put on it. Every time I've done the top end on my YZ250, the piston was still within the specs, as were the rings, and it looked like it was new.

It's a cheap enough thing to do, and easy enough, you should probably do it every year, just to be sure, a busted piston skirt will destroy a lot of engine in short order.

That reminds me, I need to do the YZ again this winter!

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
how often should you change rings? and what tools do you need to do a top end rebuild/ring replacement?

(sorry for the questions, i need to start learning quickly :))

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
You only NEED a screwdriver and a couple wrenches, its a pretty easy job.

Take the jugg off, take the old piston off (don't lose anything in the motor and don't lose the needles in the needle bearing.Put rings on piston. Put on new piston, make sure clips are on GOOD. Compress rings (Easiest with 2 people.) put jugg on. and have fun. Change the gaskets too. and clean the power valve and adjust if needed.

Can take 2-3 hours your first time. And it only gets easier.

And and get a manual. They tell you everything.

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
You only NEED a screwdriver and a couple wrenches, its a pretty easy job.

And and get a manual. They tell you everything.

Can you also explain jetting to me? and how to do it? :whoa:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well.. i dont know jetting that well. So dont ask me. But here are some links. (well the links are in this link.)

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=42618

(the first link doesn't work, and for me i had to highlight the words to read the second link, but very descriptive))

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…