Back in the saddle again

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Well, I finally got back on the bike after breaking my collar bone MAY 10. It took near 4 MONTHS to get my doc to OK my return. I had x-rays at 2 months, and again after 3 months, and there was insufficient calcification. I got the official Oki-doki around mid August, but didn't have time to get out for any riding (darn job). But finally, last weekend, I escaped for a few hours of trail riding. After a couple months, you sort of forget what your missing, until you throw a leg over again. I had a smile on my face you couldn't knock off with a stick.:cool:
We only have another 6 weeks of good riding up here (I hate the cold), so we're heading out Oct. 13 for some trail riding in Northern Saskatchewan. WoooHooo:confused:

Later
Neil
2001 CR250R stock (revalving forks this winter)
1987 CR250R egorr'ed cyl, and a bunch of other stuff.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Did the Doctor have any idea why you had insufficient calcification? Does a collarbone normally take that long to heal?

Anyway I'm glad to hear you're riding again. :)

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
The problem was in the vertical and horizontal misallignment. The ends of the bone have a near full vertical misallignment, and about 50% horizontal misalignment.

In a civilized country, the bone would have been pinned. In our grand country, I had to beg for a sling, and a handful of Tylenol 3, after a 4 hour wait in an "emergency" room....

Don't get me wrong, I have great medical insurance through my company, it's just that it doesn't matter at all in Saskatchewan hospitals. Our Government supplied health care leaves a bit to be desired...I think our waiting list for elective (non-life threatening) surgery is in excess of 12 months.

This is a bad topic, and I'm having a good day, so I'll drop it.....:think

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
So the bone was just about completely misaligned and they let it heal together crooked? Man that is terrible. So does your collarbone have a big bend or jump in it?

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Short answer, yes and yes.

The inner bone is above the outer bone, forming a sharp horn. The outer bone comes up an an angle of about 10 degrees (from the last x-ray). It's a real work of art.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Sorry to hear about that.... And that guy calls himself a Doctor....:silly:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Neil - It's probably still better to be riding with crooked bones than not riding with straight ones :)

Try and squeeze the life out of those next six weeks of good weather.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
I guess I am not seeing what kind of break you had in your coller bone because most of the time here in the states they let the bone heal like yours, put it in a sling. I have known several people over the years have this happen and not one of them has ever had a pin put in place.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…