Getting back in the saddle at 41.

Todd273

Feb 6, 2013
Hey all, I have decided to get a bike after over a 20 yr hiatus from riding dirt. So, I'm looking for a liitle advise. The last dirt bike I owend was a 1981 Suzuki 125. This was back in 84-88 and I was living in California (So Cal) I realize that there has been a ton of changes in the dirt bike world so heres a little info on me.

I currently resside in MI. I am looking to trail ride and am considering a WR250F (the yr modle is a 07 with 177 mi on it) I snowmobile, and at this point have become Moderate to very agressive. (I understand they are two different sports) But, I assume that my riding style will be the same once I get my chops back, if I can. On my sled I tend to blow through the woops and I take a pounding for it. my back shoulders and thighs hate me for it.

I am 5'5" 170 and am a little intimidated at the hieght of the new bike. I have been advised to get a 250 by some, and a 450 by others. Wieght and pwr is a concern for me. I know I'm the one in control of the throtle, But I am thinking I should approach a new to me bike as a beginner to be on the safe side. I'm sure trees have not gotten any softer since the 80's. I'm leaning to the WR250/450F Yami due to reliabilty reviews and a couple of suggestions that I have recieved friends. I don't plan on racing just riding with friends. I would like a suspention that is on the soft side (at least I think so) And dont want to be constantly clutching to get out of the thurns or make it up hills. I have never ridden a 4 stroke and have been told by a couple of friends to not worry about it on the 250.

Any suggestion ya'll have would be great. I doesnt have to be about the yami wr. Any bike that you think might be exceptible for a "beginner" One more thing I'd rather ride than wrench, I already owen a snowmobile. I wrench enough :bang:

Thanks for your input.

Todd.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Todd:

Welcome!

The WR250/450 are good bikes, you won't go wrong there. For the most part, howvere, you can pick you favorite color, they are all good bikes.

In any brand of bike you will find the low end "trail bike", the high end MX bikes and then the bikes that try to find a middle ground. The Wr series is such a bike. They have the high performance motors, full travel suspension, lightweight frames. They also have a few features, such as a kickstand, headlight and electric start. I have a WR450 that I really enjoy.

There isn't much of a weight difference between the 250 vs the 450 so I would recommend the 450, just because. Unless you are serious racing you won't need that extra power 95% of the time, but when you do it is nice to have.

Since you are not very tall you might want to consider some lowering options. Many bikes, the WR included, have "lowering links" available that will allow you to lower the rear suspension without losing all your spring pre-load. You can slide the forks up a little higher in the clamp (may need to raise the handlebars up to provide room) and shave the seat down a bit. You shoud be able to get the seat height down a good two inches.

My daughter is only 5' 2" and I ended up buying her a Honda CRF250x because it has the best lowering options. Before I lowered it I took it out and gave it a good trail ride, and it seemed to perform every bit as well as my 450.

My daughter and I both race enduros, and the bikes are serving us well.

Rod

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Thanks for the excellent post/advice rmc_

And welcome to you Todd273. Lot's of good info to be had and lots of "old" riders around here for support :)

Todd273

Feb 6, 2013
Thanks guys. I have line on a WR450f 04 and a 250 07. I'm still not sure which one. I have been advised that if I intend to ride on the streets as well as dirt the 450 would be a better choice. The 250 is listed at $5800 but it is a dual pkg with a ttr 250. talked to the guy and he is willing to split the two and sell me the WR. I did'nt want to waste the guys time and told him I'm still looking and thanks for the info. so I did'nt get a price. What do you think I should pay? It has 118 mi and looks really clean. cant even spot any knee wear on it in the pics. I know the msrp was lie $6400.

The 04 looks a bit worn. The blue paint on the frame at the kness/gas tank has wear to the point of a bit of rust where the paint has come off.I emailed the guy and have yet to get a respones. ( he did'nt list his phn number) The bike is street legal with a plate. But at this point I'm not sure if it's worth saving a few bucks. He's asking $3000 obo.

Do I really need the 450 just to ride to work (about ten mi surface rds)and or the trails from my cabin? (about 7 mi) I know trailering isn't a big deal, I do it with my snowmobiles when I have to. I just like the fact of riding to the trails. Here in MI it's a violation to ride a dirt bike or quad on a M road which is what my cabins on but sleds are ok, go figure. Any who What do you think is a fare price for the 250?

Thanks.

Todd.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
In some states it is legal and fairly easy to convert a WR to a street legal bike. There is a kit sold by Baja Designs that gives you all the required lights and horn. I have the kit on my WR450 and use it for dual sport rides.

But that said, I really don't recommend the WR for commuting to work. If you want a street bike, get a street bike. Dirt bikes don't make good street bikes, they are too top heavy. The gearing on the WR is sure not suited for highway speeds. Tires that work good in dirt are not good (usually not even legal) on the street and vice-versa.

Bikes that are intended for racing or high performance will have a "high peformance" motor. These things are not built to go 100,000 miles.

You should also consider that a dirt bike typically doesn't have a key switch or lock. If you parked the WR someplace, it may not be there when you got back....

I don't know what the going rate for bikes is in Michigan but I would consider $3000 for a '04 WR250F to be a bit on the high side. If the plate is legit, and it has the proper lights and turn signals, that would boost the value a bunch and I would say it was good.

Rod

Todd273

Feb 6, 2013
Thanks Rod, The bike would be inside in my station if I did ride to work. Was more or less thinking of just getting to the trails about 1 mile of street, then on a dirt road to the trails.

Last edited:

maina

Spammer
Feb 8, 2013
The CRF100F

The CRF100F is one of the best and latest dirt bike of Honda. This apparently aimed at taking the dirt by storm. This is a completely fresh, innovative and a ride that can totally win races- that is if you can still join races at 41 :) . It becomes even better when you pair it with Yoshimura’s TRS Complete Exhaust Systems, an ultra-light titanium tail and muffler that will not shack the ride’s weight. This is a quieter muffler, better performance, hot sound and improved mid-to-top-end power. Buy this TRS Complete Exhaust Systems on its biggest price offer ever. You can get more insight and advice on Dirt Bike Accessories at the 4wheelonline website.

maina

Spammer
Feb 8, 2013
The CRF100F

maina said:
The CRF100F is one of the best and latest dirt bike of the Yoshimura brand.It apparently was built and aimed at taking the dirt by storm. It is completely fresh, innovative and a ride that can totally win races - that is if you can still do races at 41 :) . It becomes even better when you pair it with Yoshimura’s TRS Complete Exhaust Systems, an ultra-light titanium tail and muffler that will not shack the ride’s weight. This is a quieter muffler, has better performance, hot sound and has improved mid-to-top-end power. Buy this TRS Complete Exhaust Systems on its biggest price offer ever. You can get more insight and advice on Dirt Bike Accessories at the 4wheelonline website.

Top Bottom