Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
:( About a month ago I injured my back at work with a nitrogen cylinder. The news came back yesterday that L4 and L5 are blown out. So far it looks like surgery,but I still have more opinions for the best treatment. The doc I saw this week said IF i can ride again it may be at least a couple of years, and that is not what I wanted to hear. We will see what the other docs have to say. :|

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
:( Best of luck Phillip. Hopefully a better forecast from some other docs. Hang in there.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Bummer.....Get healed up, and get back on.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Philip said:
:The doc I saw this week said IF i can ride again it may be at least a couple of years, and that is not what I wanted to hear. We will see what the other docs have to say. :|

Ten years ago I blew-out my L5 disc. Since I was young (at the time) my doctor prescribed intensive physical therapy for me. After many months I felt much better and was looking forward to participating in normal activities.

I asked the doctor “what activities should I avoid, and what should I do?”

He replied “Do exercise, it’s the most important thing you can do. But listen to your body. If something doesn’t feel right, don’t do. Use your head, but don’t expect to be able to run a marathon or anything like that.”

The next day I started training for my first marathon. It took me four years to get there, but I did it.

My point is this: the doctor is going to give you the most conservative answer possible. They want you to build a cocoon of safety around yourself. Riding motorcycles, skiing, skate boarding…these are all activities that they see people having trouble with – and they believe that “normal” people should avoid them, let alone those with known physical problems.

If you enjoy riding, and want to get back into it, you should. But be smart about it. When you are ready you can begin to participate in certain aspects of the sport. If you have trouble kick-starting the bike, get a bike with an electric start. If standing is a problem, find exercises that will help you stand while you ride. In a few years you might be able to enjoy the sport as you did before your injury. Maybe you’ll enjoy it in another way that you never even considered.

Make a realistic but flexible goal. Start slow. You will make progress and you will have setbacks. That’s what makes it challenging. That’s what makes it fun. That’s what makes it worthwhile.

To paraphrase John F. Kennedy: “We choose to do this thing, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.”

Last edited:

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Thank Cap. those are words of encourgement that are appreciated. The biggest let down is that I just bought a 450 that I feel is the best bike I have ever owned. Right of the showroom floor it has far exceeded all my expectations. I have done nothing to this bike and it is 100 times better than my 250 was with $1000's in modifications. I have loved this bike more every time we rode, now it looks like I will have to sell it. The only good side to this is that Josh is in between bikes, too big for his 85 and not quite comfortable on the bigger bikes. This has caused him to loose a little interest in riding so maybe the time off will be good for both of us. We are still big fans of the sport and will follow as much as we always have. I still love to photograph the sport and sharpen my skills at that. I stepped away once before (when I discovered girls were more fun) and when I came back with Josh I realized how much I enjoy riding. I will get this taken care of and then we see from there. Thanks again :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom