base gasket

yam 3

May 19, 2000
I have an 03 yz250 that had a base gasket leak...replaced gasket leak again... rtv fixed left side...right side leaked. What gives? The leaks are directly under the transfer ports where the gasket gets real thin. When I replace this time I will check for flatness and also apply yamabond to both sides.
I know of at least one other person that has this same bike with the same problem. The gaskets that I am using are OEM.
I have never encountered this problem with any other rebuilds on this bike and now it has happened twice. Do yall use a seler on your gaskets??

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i have the 01, ive never run sealer on these gaskets either and have had no problems with leaking (knock on wood for my new top end!). i use cometic gaskets since they come in all sorts of thickness to satisfy my obssessive nature!:)

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
i had the same problem on my YZ490, i suspected the flimsy lookin gasket from Moose was the problem so i made my own from a piece of cardboard from a cereal box JK! LOL, seriously i got a piece of gasket material from a local gasket shop and used the yamabond, no prob!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…