Basevalve removal, and impact wrench Q!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Hey guys, i put this here since its most valid for my application.

i know that a lot of you use the impact wrench method for removing the basevalves from forks.

has anyone tried the mains electrical impact wrenches in this application and if so how did they work out. At present, i am limited for space and cash to get the full airtool setup and i can pick one of the lectric ones for quite cheap.

thanks

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Bruce i tried really hard to get one but no one in the UK stocks them for a reasonable price.It could get really expensive running mine of the N2 tank at work-well it would if i paid for the N2:)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I use a 12v impact gun sold by harbour freight for 20$US. It plugs right into a cigarette lighter, or can clip onto a car battery.

impact gun

LEE BAXTER

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2002
I have been using a large propane cylinder in my garage for about a year now . What I do is fill the cylinder at work off a air compressor to about 100 psi and use that ,there is just about enough to do a set of forks but you have to be wise with it . I also have a medium size one that I take to the track to pump the tyres up or clean around the engine or incase of puncture . Its easier than with a foot pump.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i didnt think about the 12V gun, but now i do, i realise i would have to buy a car battery. i think i will go for the mains one, less space, ive seen them on ebay for around $50 shipped.

marcus, remind me next time i come home, if you want, i will bring one for you....i think 12v is the same both sides of the atlantic!

thinking about it, i bet it would be less than $20 to ship it anyhow....let me know.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Bruce once you get the bloody base valve off how do you plan on getting it back on? You will need a cartridge holding tool for you KYBs.

BTW: What do you plan on doing with those 426 forks? I got the shock.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by endosports
Bruce once you get the bloody base valve off how do you plan on getting it back on? You will need a cartridge holding tool for you KYBs.

BTW: What do you plan on doing with those 426 forks? I got the shock.

Brian, i have been led to believe that the basevalve can be put back in using the impact wrench with care!

as for the cartiridge tool, ive made two. one from the 1 inch pvc pipe to get the forks apart using a ratchet in the base vavle, the second holder was made from a socket, i used this to take th cartridge valve apart.

the forks will be going on the bike for testing soon!:) I would have got the shock, but i wasnt sure if they interchange. let me know what you are up to.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Ah double posting! I am going to have to report you to the authorities.

The shock is going to be re-valved (works performance) to replace my now pitted shock shaft.

The 426 forks will most likely work well for you. I believe the only difference from the 250 would be stiffer springs. Back in the day I threw some yz250 (00) forks on my YZ400. Felt a little soft but it felt rideable.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
whoops, deleted the second post!

dont worry Brian, the forks will be modified before i use them, thats the fun part.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom