MOTOX888

Dec 3, 2005
Steering Head Castle Nut

I Heard That When Putting The Catle Nut Back On The Steering Head You Just Only Need To Snug It Up With Your Hand And Then Put The Top Triple Clamp Back On And Tourque The Nut On Top Of The Triple Clamp Down. Is This True, It Wont Come Loose????

Last edited:

MOTOX888

Dec 3, 2005
Power Valves And Oil

Is It True That Some Power Valves Will Gum Up And Build Carbon With Certain Types Of Premix Oils? If So Which Oils Are Good And Will Not Do This?

MOTOX888

Dec 3, 2005
Steering Head Dust Seals

Ok, I Am Planning On Regreasing My Headset On My Bike, How Do You Get The Dust Seals On The Top And Bottom Out? Do You Use A Large Flathead Screwdriver? Can You Reuse The Seals?

MOTOX888

Dec 3, 2005
Pipe Dent Repair

HOW WOULD YOU FIX A PIPE DENT ON A 2 STROKE. I HAVE A PRO CIRCUIT PLATED PIPE, SO I DONT THINK THERE WOULD BE ANY WELDING INVOLVED. ANY IDEAS? :coocoo:

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
I would leave it to the people that do this for a living, but what they do is plug one end, and add pressure to the other end while applying heat if needed to the dented area. If I recall it is about $50 for a good size dent, but only went through this once. My current PC pipe got dented the first race when I ate dirt, and I noticed no change in performance and decided to tuff it.
Stan

MOTOX888

Dec 3, 2005
Maxima Mtl Trans Oil

What Weight Trans Oil From Maxima Do You Reccomend In My 03 Rm125? It Comes In 75,80,85 Wt. Is This Oil Any Good?

MOTOX888

Dec 3, 2005
Steering Head Castle Nut

HOW DO I GET THE STEERING HEAD CASTLE NUT OFF SINCE I DO NOT HAVE A TOOL TO GO OVER TOP OF IT(CANT FIND ONE) SHOULD I USE A SCREWDRIVER OR A PUNCH AND HIT IT WITH A HAMMER TO GET IT LOOSE? ALSO, WHEN I GO TO PUT IT BACK ON, I HEARD THAT YOU ONLY SNUG IT DOWN WITH YOUR HAND, AND THEN PUT THE TOP TRIPLE CLAMP BACK ON AND ONLY TOURQUE DOWN THE NUT ON TOP OF THE TRIPLE CLAMP. WONT IT COME LOOSE OR WILL THE FORCE OF THE TOP TRIPLE CLAMP HOLD IT? :coocoo:

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
The tool you are referring to would be a spanner wrench. You can get away with using a screwdriver, but a punch or dull cold chisel would do better. It's probably not that tight. Tap it once or twice and it should turn off by hand. As far as reassembly goes, I usually tighten the nut until all the up and down slop is out of the stem and you can still freely turn the lower clamp side to side, then install top clamp and tighten the top nut. If you get the stem nut too tight, it will be hard to turn the assembly back and forth. Hope this helps.

Mark

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Something else I just thought of. You could make yourself a tool similar to the one in the picture. Short piece of pipe with a union/coupling and grind the union to fit whatever shape the nut has and use a pipe wrench on the small piece of pipe to tighten/loosen nut. I made this one to get the recessed nut out of the swingarm on a Honda Foreman 450.

Attachments

• MVC-030E.JPG
    MVC-030E.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 182

MOTOX888

Dec 3, 2005
I have another question, sice you seem to know what you are talking about. How do you get the dust seals out of the steering head so I can regrease the bearings, and are they reusable?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
The bike I am currently working on is a KX80. The seals are made into/onto the bearing so they come out as one assembly. I'm putting new bearings in so they come with the seals made on. I'll have to look into your specific bike. If yours are seperate pieces and you remove them carefully they could be reused. How much are new ones?

Mark

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Motox888,
If you don't have a manual for your bike, go down to your local Suzuki dealer and order one. Once you have it, read it cover to cover, then repeat. This will be help your learning curve about your bike. :cool:

As for two stroke oil, I always had good luck with Yamalube.

junkjeeps - Great idea, Iamb filing that one away for future use. :age:

MOTOX888

Dec 3, 2005
junkjeeps said:
The bike I am currently working on is a KX80. The seals are made into/onto the bearing so they come out as one assembly. I'm putting new bearings in so they come with the seals made on. I'll have to look into your specific bike. If yours are seperate pieces and you remove them carefully they could be reused. How much are new ones?

Mark
so what kind of tool would i use to get them out? Maybe a large flathead screwdriver? I am not sure how much new ones are

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
Take it apart, if you mess them up buy new ones. The only way to learn is to do it. Like sawblade said buy a manual and go to town. Then if you got any ?'s come back. How do you think columbus found out the world was round? He found out for himself.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Here are pictures of the KX bearing with seal attached. If yours are seperate, a flat head screwdriver would work fine. Work your way around the seal prying up a little a time. Don't pry all the way out on one side or you risk tearing up the seal. Like was stated in a previous post, give it try and if you screw it up go get some new ones. They can't be more than $10 a piece.

Attachments

• MVC-033E.JPG
    MVC-033E.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 98
  • MVC-032E.JPG
    MVC-032E.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 94

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Probably so.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom