Killdrums

Jan 27, 2009
I wanted to know what kind of press to use(that I could buy) to press in new seals and bearings in my cases..and also to press crank and cases together..thanks!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I never had to use a press..

I do heat the cases in the oven (250deg) and freeze the bearings.

They tend to drop right in if you do it that way. Smells up the house though. Good thing I'm not married. ;)

As for "pressing" cases together, After I make sure everything is aligned properly, I use bolts to draw the cases together. Using small turns, going around the whole thing several times, it's worked out fine for me.

Just don't get in a big hurry.. And keep your ears and eyes open for spots where the cases might get hung up.

Killdrums

Jan 27, 2009
the heat of the cases wont hurt the seals? sry im a neewbie at building new bottom ends.im starting with fresh brand new cases...only thing left over im using is the tranny...the clutch covers pretty much a new build.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
250F should not have an effect in the seals.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yeah, your engine get's almost that hot during normal operation.. 250 won't damage the seals ... and if you want, you can freeze them too.. That should help protect them while you are installing.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
yes.. it's not going to just slide in, but if you're creative, you can get it to go in without a press.

You may need longer than stock bolts to get started with..

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Crank counter weights? I like a couple of good size c clamps, squeeze together at the motor mount flats. Stick the proper feeler gauge to keep the crank centered in between the cases. Some, when you put the drive gear on the right, and rotor on the left, it centers itself. Real important to be centered.

Killdrums

Jan 27, 2009
yes counter weights sry....in the learning process of bike bottom ends.i took on a huge project and want to do it the best way as to not mess up new parts.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Patman said:
250F should not have an effect in the seals.
:laugh: :laugh: I guess I should have clarified 250 degrees on the Fahrenheit temperature scale.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
freeze the crank also, after the cases are heated and you pop the main bearings in the heat will transfer to the bearings and expand them a bit as you are assembling the transmission. with the warmed up bearings and a chilled crank , wipe the bearing area of the crank with some thin oil and you can just about walk the case halves together with a couple of love taps with a SMALL MALLET around the transmision shafts, you might not even have to draw the cases together with the screws.

be clean, be careful and use common sense, if it is not going together with a little effort find out why, DO NOT crank the screws till they bleed and grab a big hammer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom