Before >> After

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
So it's taken a couple years, but I finally got it from this...

To this.....

1989 KDX200

RB modded head

DG pipe and silencer

KX500 rear fender

KX500 front number plate

UFO shrouds

Ceet Apex 06 Graphics

yz250 front end

Tusk Chub bars cut to 29"

Moose guards for mini bars

W.E.R. steering damper

Boyesen 607 reeds

airbox lid removed

42/150/1173n clip 3 (playing with this still)

Fresh top end: Wiseco pro-tru piston with cylinder plating by langcourt

Fresh bottom end: OEM main bearings and seals, transmission bearings relplaced, hot rods rod kit

Pirelli MT43 trials tire

That's all the stuff I can think of right this second, although it seems I have done much more, lol.

J.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
SWEET !! ... What a feeling of personal satisfaction you must have to have that bike underneath you. Another success story ! ... Domino

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
It's kind of nice that somebody had already put the inverted forks on it, too. :cool:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
excellent work, built not bought is a real satisfaction IMO. you're not going to miss the lights??

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Haven't missed the lights yet. I might go with an aftermarket headlight at some point. All the headlight wiring was stripped out when I got it, so they never worked anyway.

Yeah, the inverted forks that were on there when I got the bike were 94 KDX USD's. No rebound adjustment, etc. Basically the same forks as the newer KDX's, but in USD form. I replaced the entire front end with yz250 parts, and have very much enjoyed the upgrade. I have the old KDX usd's in the garage. Might use them for some future project, or sell them.

Overall I'm really proud of the way the bike turned out. Any of my friends that ride it are very impressed with the bike overall. Handling, power, the whole package. I have no trouble keeping up with much bigger bikes in the woods. It's been fun, and uber reliable. Great bike!!

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
I don't mind the performance of the stockers. I drilled out the dampers and added progressive heavy duty springs to my 86 and put in a Gold Valve kit and .38 springs on my 03. I just hate the way the overhang manages to peg every rock, root and rut it gets too close to. :ugg:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah the stock forks are ok for trail duty, but if you get a bit too much speed or take a jump that's a little too much, things start to get hairy. I'm no longer afraid of bigger jumps or faster trails with the new front end. It helped me be more confident on the bike overall, which made it a worthwhile mod in my opinion.

ecrum28

Sep 30, 2009
How do you like the trials tire? My rear tire is getting worn out and I was thinking about getting one. What type of terrain do you ride mostly?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I love the trials tire. I ride every type of terrain. Lots of rocks, roots, and mud primarily though. I run the MT43, but if I ever manage to wear it out I'm gonna try a D803.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Forks are 93 yz250. I used a 95 triple because the top clamp worked better, smaller hole for the stem so the bushing was easier to make. Similar to doing a kx swap. 94/95 triples will work well. 92 - 95 for the 43mm kyb forks I think. I only figured this out because I got the front end for free, but it's something to think about if you're keeping your eyes out for a good deal on forks/front end. The kyb 43's seem very well suited for woods work, handling jumps and big hits much better than the kdx forks, but still soft enough to soak up the small rough stuff at speed.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Looks great Julian! You had no issues with getting the forks lined up, stiction? You may not know till you hit a big jump? When you went with the 95 clamps, that was kdx or yz? And the wheel, bushings and brakes are from, yz?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…