Best and cheapest way to get my crank rebuilt

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
Rebuilding the crank is one step, splitting the case and then reassembling it is another. Be careful here.
I've done engines of all sorts for over 20 years, but I still won't dare split a case.

csmutty

Uhhh...
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks guys so I think I will go ahead and get him to rebuild it for me and attempt to split the cases on my own. Thanks again :cool:

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
You will need a tool to press out the crank. I am doing my 89 right now. do the left side first.The bearings will usually stay on the crank so those will also need to be pulled off. The last time I did my crank was in 1995. And it’s still with in speck. the 1989 piston was only $48 :)

hart125

Dec 11, 2003
I just went through this a few months ago. the shop said it was really hard to deal with the plastic parts next to the rod and wouldn't do it. the dealer said he'd sell me a new crank for 300 so that is what i did.
I'd show the shop your crank before you order the rod kit and be sure they can do it.

As far as the cases, you have to get a good puller for the left side and I used a soft hammer on the right side to pound the crank out of the case because I couldnt attach a puller anywhere. my advise is to slow down and do it right or have the shop do it all including splitting the cases.

csmutty

Uhhh...
Feb 28, 2006
I would ship it to Fredette but I can't afford that. I would just give it to my local racing shop to do it instead. And what tool should I use to split the cases? I already have the pully puller for the flywheel but what do I use to actually split the cases and where can I find one?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom