Best method of removing old gaskets?

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
I'm in the process of putting a new Hinson clutch basekt on my KX 250 and thus I had to remove the clutch cover. The clutch cover gasket adhered to the case soo tight, I had to bang it off with a rubber mallet. The remaining gasket is practially glued to the case and clutch cover. I've never seen a gasket stuck so tight to anything. Can you guys give me some suggestions (i.e. tips & tricks) to removing the gasket without destroying the mating surfaces or paint?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Three choises

Gasket scraper. Looks like a chisel, is much harder to damage the aluminum underneath compared to using a razor blade.

Gasket stripping wheel. Goes on the end of an air tool, has a few dozen hard rubber fingers that eat through any gasket material, but will not damage aluminum (the rubber tears up first). I love these things for big jobs, they work awesome. Get at any auto parts store.

Chemical gasket remover. I've personally never tried em. The thing above works so well and so fast that I never seen a reason to make a mess.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I try not to use anything harder that the material I am trying to remove the gasket from. So I don't use a steel scraper on aluminum but hard plastic scrapers or even and oil credit card work well when combined with some spray remover. I'vae also used a Scotchbrite pad system that is very good that tou can either chuck in an air powered die grinder or electric drill.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use aerosol gasket remover and a hard plastic scraper. It works very well, and won't bite into the aluminum. Then I clean the area thoroughly with contact cleaner.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
In a pinch, paint remover does an excellent job. I like it because you can brush it on vs spraying everywhere.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…