SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
It is time to replace the meats on my YZ 125. It's been a while since I have invested in tires, and I'm not sure what my best bets are, so I wanted to turn to those whom use different tires for their opinion. I live on the east coast, and ride trails (mud, dirt, tree roots, but some open spaces, and hard dirt) and am planning on trying my hand in the beginner MX classes this year. What do you all suggest (manufacturer and the model)? I am thinking an intermediate tire would be best? Which is the best wearing tire, and the best bang for my buck. Also, I would like to say that I like the "wide, meaty" look that some MX tires have. I thought all were the same, until I tried to save a little $$ and bought a Kenda tire. BIG mistake. The rear looks much thinner, not as meaty or as solid looking, even though the rep told me it would look the same. It also doesn't feel as solid. Not a big deal, but I thought I would throw that in there. Also, is it worth it to try to find some barely used meats from someone, or should I steer clear of that?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice on this

-Sterling

SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
No one has any feedback? I really need some tires soon, not too sure which are the best for my needs. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Sterling

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I just tried the Maxxis IT for the rear. I have three rides on it. I ride sand, realy hard pack, and rocks. Two rides were dusty and dry. The other was slightly muddy turning into a realy sticky dirt mix. It hooked up realy well in the tacky stuff and decent in the mud. I realy not sure how I like the dry to much. It was pretty decent, but the rear end felt a little squirly. It was predictable though. For the 40 bucks I spend I think I'm gunna like it.

Before that I was running a 756 in the rear. Hooks up in just about anything. It wore decent to.

I'm still running the 739 in the front. It does pretty good for my conditions.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Hmmmm, :think: I'm running a 756 and it does not hook up well at all. I wanna try the Maxxis M6001

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I just put Dunlop 773's on the front and back. I only have 2 rides on them, but they hook up very good in all conditions (but I reide track only). But then again, I was running stock tires before (Dunlop 490/695) and those stink in my opinion, but they last forever. As far as wear goes, the rear tires knobs are starting to already turn back. So I doubt they will last long, but those things dig in great.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Here we go... Right now, on my bike in my riding conditions with my riding style (or lack of), the Metzler mc4 rear and pirelli mt44 front are simply the best. The mt44 front is a soft terrain tire which hooks up everywhere and wears very well. The mc4 rear is an intermediate, I think, and for me, combines the best traits of the michelin s12 rear and dunlop 756 rear. Which is to say it hooks up everywhere but slides predictably whether it's brand new or 1000 miles old. Wears pretty well too. Avoid the mc4 front though, it's crap. jmo :).

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I have found the MT44 to be an all around great front tire. Starting to lose some of the edges on the back on the knobs from braking in the rocks here in Missouri. 

I've about 300 miles on it now & it still sticks like flypaper in almost every condition where there is some stick to be found. :thumb:

SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
Wonderful feedback, my fellow dirtbikers! I will have to review this, as I am looking for the best of both worlds hookup, but ALSO the best wear factor. I haven't heard anything about the "thickness" of the tires though. When I bought the Kenda (another $40 rear tire), it did NOT have the same beefy look as the original rear that was on the YZ. Did you all find this on the replacements you all bought? For a standard YZ rim (from and rear, year 1997) what size tires should I be looking at to match the stock size? Where are the best prices to be found for tires? A lot of questions I know, but I have made the wrong decision before, and really don't want to go through it again. Thanks again for all the info!

-Sterling

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
I have Michelin S-12s out back and M-12s in the front. They are really good in mud, sand and loam, but are a little sketchy on hardpack. I've put about 300 miles on them and they are wearing pretty well.

My brother has the Maxxis IT on his bike and that thing will not wear out! He probably has about 600 miles on them and it looks like he has one ride on them!

As far as sizing, I think 110/100/19 would be one size larger than the stock tire on a YZ125. A Michelin equivalent is 130/70/19.

For good deals on tires and other dirtbike stuff, visit www.rockymountainmc.com Great prices and even better service.

Last edited:

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Sterling, no question - Rocky Mountain has the best prices on tires. Which should you run? Michelin or Dunlop will not do you wrong. I am a die hard fan of either. Got curious and decided to try a Maxxis IT rear ($45?!) and if it wears long enough, will be right there will the big boys. If not, going back to either Dunlop 756 or Michelin S12. As for front, running Michelin M12 but not wowed (wears too quickly). Thinking 756 is better but still lookin' for the best. In summer, currently prefer Michelin Starcross MH2.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
If you like the 756 up front, try the 773 front next time. I can't believe how well it performs.

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I really like the 773 rear in sand and mud but not in the summer for trail riding. How is the front in hard, rocky conditions? How does it hold up in terms of wear?

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Like I said before, I only ride the track. So I'll have take your word about the trails part. But I've only got 2 short rides on mine (coming off knee surgery 1 month ago). But the track I rode was hard pack with a fair amount of rocks, and it still tracked around with no flaws, all I can tell you was that I was impressed. In my opinion, this 773 will not be a long lasting tire. But I can live with that giving the amount of traction it gave back.

vetrider

Nov 7, 1999
we are currently using bridgestone m59 and m70's. in the upper midwest these things hookup like crazy. they leave a little to be desired on wear but if a guy can finish in the money it's worth it. we have tried michelins and the seem to wear fine but seem a little squirrely after a few races. dunlops aren't to bad as we have run the 495/695 combos 752's and the 755's. we liked the 755's the best, but they don't compare to the m59/m70's. every one has their own favorites, it just depends on what works for you. not every tire is going to work for every situation. gotta tell you ,there is nothing like a new tire on the first ride.

SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
Thanks again for the feedback. After reading all of the input from everyone, I had decided to try out the Maxxis INT tire from Rocky Mountain. However, in a wierd twist of events, I was at my local Yamaha dealer buying a few small items I needed for the weekend ride. I was talking with the guy about a few different things (hard to find aftermarket z50 parts nowadays, it's ALL about the XR50) when tires came up. I found that they had a pair of Dunlop 773 tires (the front was D 773F, not sure what the F means). They had them at roughtly $100 a tire. I talked to the guy a while longer and he told me if I bought them today, and mounted them myself, he would give me both for $100 plus tax. INCREDIBLE! I was on it! I went home a HAPPY camper. I mounted the 773s yesterday, but have yet to ride them. I'll let you know as soon as I get a chance to dig em in! I am even happier considering what WRAITH said about them. I was a little wary of buying sand mud tires to ride around here... but then I thought about the weather we have been having for the last 2+ months, and all of a sudden it didn't seem to be such a bad choice. :)

-Sterling

Curt_704

Nov 7, 2001
Here's my vote for the best tires for east coast trail riding and racing MX on a groomed track.

Front - Michelin S12
Back - Dunlop 773 - Meaty

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Trust me, you'll be very happy with the way the 773s work :thumb:
And that is a great deal.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom