riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Due to my novice riding abilities, I went over the handlebars in 3rd gear. It happened when going over some camel humps. The back end of the bike bottomed out in the dip then sprung straight up and threw me superman style. I've read the KDX 200 has a very soft suspension stock. Would tightening the back shock help me out in these situations? I was standing up at the time. I'm 5'9 and 155 lbs. As you can imagine I'm fairly scared of my bike now. Thanks for your help.

'93 KDX 200

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I'll offer a couple of suggestions based on my personal experience riding motocross. Suspension aside, the way you approach the jump and load the suspension has a lot to do with how the bike will react. The natural tendency if you are scared is to ride hard to the jump and get off of the gas quickly at the last second as you hit the jump. When you do that, you shift all of the weight forward on the bike and the front end will nose dive on the jump and the rear end can get airborne as it will be light from letting off of the gas and even lighter when the front end nose dives on the landing. That combination is good for a superman over the handlebars flying lesson anywhere, anytime.

I would keep the throttle consistent into and through the jump or slow down early and give it a little extra gas as you approach the jump. This will help to keep the weight even and keep the front end light and the rear end down.

Suspension is certainly important also and I will defer that to someone else. I don't know what to say without riding your bike and seeing how it is set up. I will say that soft rear suspension from my experience means the rear end will stay low and not spring up like it should on a jump (meaning your rear end gets airborne but the bike's rear end does not). That's an opportunity for another flying lesson. If the front end is too soft, it will not spring up either and you will probably hear and feel the proverbial "metal to metal" sound on the landing. If you're unsure, get someone with experience to ride your bike and help you with your technique. Don't be afraid of the bike. Get it set up right and get an experienced rider to help you learn. Dirt bike riders are the greatest group and they will always help if you ask.

Good Luck and be careful-

JCW

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: The back end of the bike bottomed out in the dip then sprung straight up

While a properly setup bike may indeed 'bottom out' from time to time, it is far more likely to happen if it is NOT setup correctly. I'm assuming your shock indeed ACTS like one? It is functioning as an hydraulic valved device? The 'sprung straight up' part isn't right. Shouldn't ever happen.

Sure, you can en-do the thing if you're on the gas at the wrong time (kick the back end) going over a bump, are not positioned properly and/or hit the next bump with the wrong attitude.

So...your bike is setup how? What are the free sag/sag numbers? Where are the compression/rebound clickers set and how do they respond to slow/fast bumps?

A number of outfits have suspension tuning writeups. Mx-tech used to. Don't know if it's still there or not. A google search will get you a number of good write-ups.

Some searches of this site will get you the same information...if search is working today. ;)

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Thanks alot for your feedback. I let my friend (20 years experience) ride my KDX last night. He has an older KDX with a much stiffer suspension. The bike handled fine for him in the bumps so you were correct in saying it was the way I was going into the bumps. He spent an hour with me explaining and showing the technique and the bike was sitting down nice for me. It wasn't the shock springing the back end up, it was the transfer of weight when I was cutting the throttle out at the top of the bump. Not to mention my front brake is NASTY touchy. I have learned to stay off that darn brake :) Thanks a bunch JCW.

Dave

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Glad you got tips from your friend on riding. You also need to be sure your suspension is adequate and tuned correctly. It takes riding skills and good suspenion to have fun and be safe. If your friend's bike is much stiffer, I'd really consider following up with canyncarvr and let him help you get it right. Good suspension is a must on any bike.

Have fun.
JCW

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom