thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
Several months ago I made a number of posts about the various problems I was having regarding my 250f. It wouldn't start, and was very anemic. I was ready to dump the thing for whatever I could get for it.

Instead, Mikey at Big Gun persuaded me to send it to him. And I posted I would report back when it was done. Here's a quick list of what was actually done:
1. new main bearings, true/shim crank
2. polish shift shaft
3. degree cams, adjust valve lash, install comlete Hinson clutch basket
4. Flow port the head, enlarge intake tract, ,match seats, multi-angle valve job, polish top of piston and exhaust ports, Wiseco ceramic coated 12.7:1 piston. The cams were reground for torque.

All the work was performed by Russ Fletcher, who is located up Washington way.

Now for how the bike runs:

Wow! We ran the bike on a dynojet(?) dyno and saw a 5hp increase accross the board. In a drag comparision with a 2002 250f on the Glen Helen start straight, an easy 5-bike advantage. I race this bike every weekend in the pro class, and weigh about 200lbs(keep the fat jokes to yourself please) and in combined pro starts with regular 250's and bigger four strokes, I don't really give a whole lot. And the thing just walks away form all the other 125's. I sure hope they never ban this bike from 125 competition, because it is definately a cheater! I just laugh whenever I ride this thing. And it now starts first or second kick, hot or cold. I'm now a convert and Big Gun has a loyal an for life. What a difference!

The bike was tested by Dirt Rider and will be featured in the March issue. Mikey is also has the mods done to my bike currently available in different stages.

Check back and I'll post a picture of the bike.

Paul Kellen

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
pictures

.. I guess I will have to just let you know when MIkey puts the pictures up his site. My quick search on how to post pics told me that you have to be a support member to post? :(

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
Big Gun 250f

You'll have to call Big Gun for the pricing. I was fortunate in that in allowing them to use my bike for the mag test, and some favors he owed me, I got a eally good price. He also told me that he is working on carrying modified parts in stock, which means turnaround time would be neglible. But he said it will be offered in stages, so you can build piece by piece rather than having to comeup with the whole enchalada at once.

The bike is, from what I've been told, the next evolution of what Brandes was racing in the nationals last year.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by honda8
Ya thats great to bad four strokes suck! Thats sad u have to ride a 4 stroke to be competitive in the 125 class. No offence though. Its just cheating and I don't like cheaters.

Cheating... his 4-stroke weighs how much more than a 125? He weighs 200 lbs, maybe more with gear. What's the average weight of the 125 pilot? Maybe 155 (AVERAGE) ?

What do you care anyway? Your racing in 250 class or did someone spank you Sunday on their YZ 426F or their CRF 450. Go away wuss!

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Thanks for the info thump,

Now about cheating, out of the mouths of babes comes this dribble.
From looking at his profile, i`ll bet the only racing he does is to the portajhon when he is out at for a practice day at Elsinore.:p
Or maybe racing his friend on the Banshee up comp hill.:p

For what its worth, i`m interested in the mods because i`m 6`4" and 265# and plan on moving up to the Vet A class sometime this season. I ride WORCS races and Hare Scrambles and GNCC type stuff.
And I like the fact i`m on the smallest bike, man what a feeling when you pass a 520 KTM in the sand wash at Glen Helen.:)

later
mxbundy

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I'm interested for much the same reasons as you mxbundy. I am 6'2" tall and weigh about 205 lbs. and I prefer to race Enduros and hare scrambles. But, I have to admit that I won my first moto-cross a while back on the little thumper. :) :) But guess what, it was in the 250 novice class. Who was at a disadvantage?:) :p

Last edited:

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Motohead,
Congratulations, isnt it just cool to whup some arse on these little strokers.
They make you feel like superman.
What part of LA. are you from?
I was born in DeRidder LA. So i`m a cajun too.:p
How far from Naorleans are you? My folks live in Hattiesburg Miss. which is 80 miles north of NewOrleans.There is some great riding there where they live.
Next time I visit them well have to hook up and go riding.
:)

later mxbundy

Last edited:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by honda8
Ya thats great to bad four strokes suck! Thats sad u have to ride a 4 stroke to be competitive in the 125 class. No offence though. Its just cheating and I don't like cheaters.
Honda 8 this is the type of post that does not belong in this or any thread. The thread is discussing Mods to a legal bike. Until I see him ride it or any bike I will reserve the right to belittle his ability.
Further posts of this nature will be deleted to preserve your rightg to look like an idiot:confused:

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
Southern Cooking

I'm actually from Dallas. Moved to LA in 87'. There isn't much here in way of decent restaurants, so I've had to learn how to do almost my own cooking. Therefore, the weight issue! But actually I am just a very stocky guy. I hit the gym religiously at least twice a week for high cardio, and ride two classes every weekend, often back to back.

I am now in Lakewood (605/91 frwy)

I race every weekend out at REM at Glen Helen. I would love it if Junior would come out to ride with us there. Many of the top national riders use the races as training for the nationals. Dubach, Davis, Amaradio, Musgrave, and Tilley are the usual suspects. Buster used to be a regular, but now he just spends his Saturdays on Dirt Rider.Net! And they all ride big bikes. They beat me to the first corner (150 yd start straight), but by only a bike length at most so I can usually dive underneath. Yes, there is nothing like leading a national level rider for a lap or two. You can almost hear me laughing underneath my helmet.

I tell you what, if you want to see the bike run, maybe even take it for a quick spin, see me at REM at Glen Helen. Obviously, I'm not going to let some punk ride it so he can see if he can wad it for me. But you will be able find me there- just look for the yellow Dodge Dakota with black rims. The # on the bike is 647.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
MXBUNDY,

I live in Lafayette about 2 hours from New Orleans. Right on I-10. I'm originally from out in the west Texas area. Lived all around Midland/Odessa and San Angelo and Lubbock. Even a short wihile Lovington, New Mexico.

Yeah, thes little thumpers make you feel pretty good. It's an awesome little woods bike. I've ridden one enduro near Hattiesburg. I believe it was the Tiger Creek Enduro. It was my first one in about 4 years and I didn't do very well, but the trails were great. My KX 250 I had at the time really wasn't set up for the woods, but we made it all right.

If you are ever coming out this way and wanna ride... shoot me an email!

Top Bottom