CyberChrist

Dec 30, 2002
I have a 93 RMX that I just bought. Near as I can tell it's still got the stock suspension, or at least completely inadaquate suspension to my... err, girth. I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs. Momma grew 'em big, Gunter size. :) Anyway, I know the front and rear is going to need a complete overhaul, and it's not had any work on it for a while anyway so needs some TLC front and rear anyway. So, any recommendations? I WON'T be doing big air on this beast, strictly trails.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Yes, a suspension shope will need to not only respring both ends but revalve accordingly; it will cost some $ but is well worth it.

To give you an idea of where the tuner will take it, the Race Tech web site will tell you what spring rates it needs for your criteria. I believe the stock springs are set up for a 165 lb rider.

Since you are such a big feller I suggest Ceet's tall and firmer seat foam ($50) and the tallest bars you can find. I have them both on mine; even though I'm only 5'-9" they open up the cockpit.

CyberChrist

Dec 30, 2002
Actually I can do the wrenching myself easy enough.... just curious as to what rate of springs to use, weight of fork oil, and oil levels... My guess was that I'm not 100% entirely unique in my stature for an RMX owner and that others have already figured out. For valving my guess was I'd need to grab a set of gold valves or something as rebuilding shim stacks is beyond my abilities but gold valves, now that's something any yahoo can do. :D

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm Little bit bigger than you, but for my bike *CR500* I got .54 and 6.2 springs. For guys our size. re-springing is a necessity

CyberChrist

Dec 30, 2002
Thanks, I'll take a look at those spring rates. I'm more than familiar with the needs to throw a wad o' cash at new bikes as there just will never be a bike coming out of Japan sprung correctly for me at my size. The funny thing, I race a NSR 250 and you should see/hear the cracks I get about that... ahhh the hillarity when one outweighs their racer... Oh well... at least cornering clearance has never been an issue. :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Jeremy was able to get me springs for my 84 500. The rear was off the shelf, the fork springs had to be custom.

Top Bottom