Bike shuts off after ripping threw gears

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
Just finally finished putting back together my rm 85. Its running real good but the only problem is after ripping threw the gears and letting off the throttle and pulling in the clutch it likes to die. Resulting in me having to drop the clutch to get it started again.

I dont have the manual so i just torqued the head bolts at 40 ft pounds and did a star pattern on the cylinder bolts sence i dont have the proper tool to torque thous bolts..

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
40 lb ft sounds like way too much for head and cylinder bolts on a small two stroke. I think 14 is more in the ball park.

As for the stalling, I've got no idea.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
They say that torqueing bolts is only to prevent overtightening/stripping threads. Not sure how much of that is true, but I don't think thats your problem.

If it doesn't idle very good just sitting, its not going to idle any better while you are moving. Fix how it idles at a stand still, and this should fix your problem.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I would venture it's more related to the intake tract (airbox/carb/reeds) than it is to head bolts.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
dirt bike dave said:
40 lb ft sounds like way too much for head and cylinder bolts on a small two stroke. I think 14 is more in the ball park.

As for the stalling, I've got no idea.

14 pounds is a little off. they should be 20 foot pounds, that's what my manual for my RM said :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Still alot closer than 40 LOL!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Not sure but I would be reluctant to loosen the head bolts. I would think there is a possibility the gaskets sealing may be compromised from being squished down then loosened. Like I said I'm not sure if that would happen though. I'm with Pat on the intake system. Have you tried turning the idle up?

May 10, 2007
he might have just not having felt the affects yet.

heck my friends yz80 was running that seat cushion stuff you find in car seats for an air filter. he said it was running fine. that is until now....or the last 3 months.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just an unfounded theory that ran across my mind. May not be an issue. What does it run for head gaskets? O-rings or an actual gasket?

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
RM85rider123 said:
most definitely :ohmy: I am surprised that he did not mess up the head.

he's lucky his studs didn't snap, but i bet they are stretched out a bit and are way more brittle so i'm guessing the next time he torques them they will snap.

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
!!!!!!!!!!!! And im pritty sure its just an o ring, it was like 10 bucks on ebay for the whole top end gasket set

Any more things that could go bad when i un torque my bolts tommorw.. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Buy the parts and sit them on a shelf and replace them next time you do a top end, otherwise just leave it alone for now and sort out the running issue.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Their all being paranoid. Its not going to snap a case hardened steel stud from TQ'ing it to 40 foot lbs.

Like Patman said, just replace the studs NEXT time you do a top end. And as long as you Tq'ed them all evenly, I dont think you have to worry one bit about them being 40 pounds. Dont loosen them inless you are prepared to replace the gasket. IMHO though, the studs should be fine.

It almost sounds like it isnt filling the float bowl up fast enough. If you keep it pegged running through the gears, what does it do? Will it start to stutter after a while?

Maybe your float height is missadjusted ...

Top Bottom