black exhaust/ jetting question

larrk2300

Apr 25, 2002
2001 kdx220 fmf kb35 pipe, fmf turbine core II silencer, air box lid removed, uni air filter, PA woods riding, waterpumper oil 32-1 94 pumpgas. where do i start to jet carb. it seems to blow lots of black oil and seems a little rich. shouldnt it be lean with new pipe? thanks ahead

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Do plug checks at various throttle positions. Where abouts in the RPM range do you usually ride within? That may be your culprit circuit. I find I ride mostly low-mid rpm's so if there is spooge out the silencer, I will lean out the pilot and raise the clip position. First, do plug checks with a new plug and go from there.

larrk2300

Apr 25, 2002
i put in brand new plug today and pulled not any sign of fouling i ride low to mid range throttle, anyone know what stock jets come with 220 service manual and fmf site dont agree. also my air screw was out five turns, i reset to 2 1/2 but we are getting storm i cant tell diffrence yet

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
5 turns out!! If you find it runs best at more than 2 turns out, install the next leaner pilot. I would try a leaner pilot for sure, and maybe raise the clip position one. The stock pilot jet is 42 I believe, so I would recommend running a 40 pilot or maybe even a 38. I run a 40 with ok results, but I may try a 38 soon. The stock main jet is a 145. I went leaner on the pilot (40) and richer on the main (150). With needle in #2 position, and I play with the air screw daily.

larrk2300

Apr 25, 2002
ill dig into carb tomorrow. thanks for starting point, are the jets fairly easy to find at bike shops i havent checked, also does anyone elses kickstarter hit the fmf pipe? also my pipe bolted and lined up perfectly, i was surprised from what ive read.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Yep, my kickstart used to hit my FMF rev pipe, until I rotated it on the shaft one spline to the rear...

larrk2300

Apr 25, 2002
thank you everyonr i went with 40 pilot, 150 main, one clip position up, 1 1/2 turns out. runs perfect, now i got to get tire to stop spinning on all this hardpack we have this dry summer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…