blown crank seal? xmsn oil low, 00 kdx 200

meistro60

Dec 8, 2003
Trying to figure out the gearbox oil usage/leakage. Rode the last four days, bike ran great. I had ridden last friday and noticed the gearbox oil was low, added a small amount of oil and continued riding. Rode the bike sunday thru tuesday. Bike ripped, no problems.Kept my eye on the oil, level was normal. I did have what I thought was an unusual amount of spooge going on. Elevations were a 1000 to 4000 feet, 150main 40 pilot. Checked the oil when I got home on Tuesday and it is low again. Is this an indication of a leaking main seal in the crank? Any thing I should look for internal on the engine that will give me a clue? This is unknown territory for me on the KDX. Need advice.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
well the oil should not go low on you.... so it is leaking somewhere.... if you are having new problems with jetting (as you indicated) it is very possible the oil is leaking into the crank.... as for how to determine for sure..... well, I don't really know and would love to know how... I await the helpfull input of someone in the know on this..

meistro60

Dec 8, 2003
Looks like engine rebuild time

I believe the problem of gear box oil usage to be leaking crank seals. Looks like engine rebuild time. Any suggestions on where to go for the rebuild work? I am leaning towards Eric Gorr, but wouldnt be against find a shop in my area.
Does anyone know of decent motorcycle engine rebuilders in Oregon or Washington or is Eric Gorr the best?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
How's your air filter look?

Reason I ask, my piston was so worn that blowby was forcing oil past the seals and out the breather tube directly onto my filter.

Replaced with new top-end and problem solved! :ride:

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Sorry to change subject mid thread...

wibby said:
How's your air filter look?

Reason I ask, my piston was so worn that blowby was forcing oil past the seals and out the breather tube directly onto my filter.

Replaced with new top-end and problem solved! :ride:

Follow up question for you Wibby,

if I'm seeing oil come out of my airbox drain that's a sure sign the top end is fried? I haven't noticed any loss in horsepower but I've only ridden the bike for a total of 20 hours.

meistro60

Dec 8, 2003
Air filter looks good. The gear box oil is getting sucked up and blown out the tail pipe because of a leaky crank seal. Its not leaking out and its not going into the filter. Maybe I will try some ATF fluid, its supposed to have sealer in it as well, might stop the leak if its not to bad. I am going to run it until the end of the season. Just going to check that oil every ride.
Wibby, you getting gear box oil into your airfilter on blowby?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…