gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Hey guys i have a 2003 Kdx 200 w/ FMF gnarly pipe. When I go from idle to FULL throtle it bogs down and the power band does not kick in til about medium RPMs. I jetted my carb with a 152 main jet and i think the pilot jet is 45. Will lowering the pilot jet give me more bottom end power? If not what will give me more power in the bottom end.Thanks for ur help

Paul

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Please help

gymrat86 said:
Hey guys i have a 2003 Kdx 200 w/ FMF gnarly pipe. When I go from idle to FULL throtle it bogs down and the power band does not kick in til about medium RPMs. I jetted my carb with a 152 main jet and i think the pilot jet is 45. Will lowering the pilot jet give me more bottom end power? If not what will give me more power in the bottom end.Thanks for ur help

Paul
Someone Please help me out

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
"Will lowering the pilot jet give me more bottom end power"
It will LEAN the card further. Did you have this problem before switching the MAIN out??
Your hading says "BOGGING ON START"
Before we go further, I HOPE YOUR BIKE IS DOING THIS WHEN YOU FIRST START. If it does IT SHOULD BOG.
If not put the main back to whatever you had before, warm the bike up & try each circut seperate so you know where the problem is.

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Green Hornet said:
"Will lowering the pilot jet give me more bottom end power"
It will LEAN the card further. Did you have this problem before switching the MAIN out??
Your hading says "BOGGING ON START"
Before we go further, I HOPE YOUR BIKE IS DOING THIS WHEN YOU FIRST START. If it does IT SHOULD BOG.
If not put the main back to whatever you had before, warm the bike up & try each circut seperate so you know where the problem is.
All I want is more power in bottom end at 2nd and 3rd gear

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
As Green Hornet said, bogging off idle on a cold bike is normal, the colder the ambient temp the more exaggerated it will be. A properly jetted engine will react as you described due to lean condition when it is cold, this is normal. Ride it till its warm and make adjustments with the air screw to see if it improves before deciding to go leaner during winter

paab

Aug 31, 2006
rich settings in the pilot/needle will do the same thing. I would try raising the clip on the needle one at a time to see if it responds better, or worse. If it gets better each time you raise the clip, then go with a leaner needle.

Do the same kind of testing with the pilot screw. Start with .5 turns out and ride it. Then 1 turn out, then 1.5, then 1 7/8 If it gets better as you turn it out further, then go to a leaner pilot and start again. (make sure you try ALL these settings before making a decision)

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
KDX607 said:
What's your elevation and temperature?
Hey man The Mean Elevation of the state of Virginia is 950 feet above sea level and the temperature is around 40-50 degrees during the winter. Please help me on my jetting with this information. thanks alot

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Jetting is personal and different with each bike, but assuming that you have opened up the air box by removing the snorkel or the lid and have a clean filter and the engine does not need rings, etc. Then put the clip in the next to the top ring of the stock needle. Start with a 42 or 45 pilot and a 155 main jet. Turn your air screw about 1.25 turns out and start riding. I prefer the 42 pilot because the leaner pilot does away with the bog for me and I do not ride too hard. My usual elevations are very similar to yours though my humidity is probably less overall. Hope this help you get started toward a great performing KDX. Cheers John

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom