bogging

Slugblaster

Apr 8, 2004
My 200has a tndency to bog then go when I give it throttle in 1st or 2nd gear after slowing down and letting the rpms go down. Also after riding a while I'll stop and turn off the bike and there is fuel coming out the drain tube and stops when I start the bike. What do ya'll think?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Lower (the manual says raise) your float height 2mm and it'll fix the "peeing". That, of course is assuming that the needle and seat are sealing properly in the first place.

Need more detail to help with the "bogging". What mods have you done to the bike? What is your current jetting? What pipe and silencer are you running? Are you running with the air box lid on.... with or w/o snorkel? Needle clip position? Air screw is how many turns out? What temp and elevation are you riding? When the outdoor temp warms up does it go away? When you try pulling the choke on a little when it's doing this does it go away?

Usually this situation is from some lean condition somewhere in your jetting set up. Specifics will help with figuring out which circuit it is.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
when was the last time you had a top end done, that tends to cause the bog also, so does having the jets to lean. As for the carb peeing, prob need to clean it real well and adjust the floats. Good luck

Slugblaster

Apr 8, 2004
I run a FMF GNarly with a turbine core II. I160 main jet. 48 Pilot. R1174 Jet Needle with the clip in the mid-position. 5 throttle valve. Air screw out 1 turn. it smokes alot when cold then tapers off. 40:1 fuel mix. I've had the bike about a year. I ride in So. CA the weather is usually 60 and up. The bike runs quick and responsive except for what I described before.

Last edited:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
If the bike only pees on the kick stand then the fix is the 2mm float level change. If it's peeing when upright then the needle and seat are the problem (or the tang got bent during assembly). If that's the case you'll have to pull the carb apart, clean it, maybe replace the float needle, then reset your float level. When you're in there carefully log your jetting to include: How many turns out from full in on the air, main jet size. pilot jet size, needle markings and clip position, slide size (throttle valve).

Once you get the needle and seat/float level thing resolved, then it's time to ride it and see if you still have your bog problem. If so, then it'll be time to get into the jetting changes to fix it.

yater

Nov 7, 2003
There's an 8mm or 10mm? nut on top of the needle (under the spring)--removing the nut will give you access to the needle and clip

Slugblaster

Apr 8, 2004
I ride from 2200ft-3600ft depending on where I ride. According to the guidelines I'm running a bit rich.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Slugblaster, did you resolve your needle/seat/float issue? If so, does it still bog? Your jetting in general is too rich. I'd start with a 155 main, 45 pilot, air screw at 1 1/2 out and see how it runs. If you still have a hesitation or bog I'd pull the choke on and see how the bog reacts. If it gets worse you're too rich somewhere (needle clip or main jet issue). If it gets better, then I'd raise the needle (lower the clip) 1 position and fine tune the air screw and you should see an improvement. This is assuming that your needle/seat/float issue has been resolved (before anything else) and that you've rejetted to 155 main and 45 pilot. Is your air box lid on or off?

Slugblaster

Apr 8, 2004
airbox lid is off. new 155 main. 45pilot R1174 jet needle center position. No more peeing. I am at 800' good response but still smoky.

Last edited:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
155 main and 45 pilot is good and "safe". May need to go to 152 and maybe even a 42 pilot if it's good and warm. Just watch for any signs of being on the edge of lean. Have fun and a happy new year!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…