kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
My 16 year old niece is about to be surprised with her first dirtbike :) but they are experiencing a gear issue.

She was born with a birthdefect which causes her feet to always be swollen. Because of this, shoe shopping has always been a difficult ordeal and she ends up wearing flip-flops most of the time. Can anyone suggest a brand of boots that offers the widest of sizes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just to let you know, she tried on a mens 11 and was most comfortable around the top and sides. However, the length was COMPLETELY wrong for her. She'd never be able to shift properly.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Tough question. You may want to move it out of the women's forum to get a larger audiance.

I am guessing that a size 11 was required for the width but for length she would need something more like an 8?

How is the width at the heel? Does a size 11 fit except her toes are inches from the boot toe?

If you assume that she isn't going to be doing much walking in the boots and if you can accept that it won't be a fashion statement you might be able to have a boot modified. I would do this with an old pair of boots, at least at first, to see how it works out. Take a men's size 11, chop a couple inches off the toe and stitch it back down. Shoe repair shops are getting hard to find but there are still a few out there. Such a shop could modify the boot for you. It won't look very pretty but it should be functional.

If it works out on the old pair of boots then next Christmas you can do it to a new pair....

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
Can you give us a little more information?

Will she be racing? Woods riding? Doing jumps? Showing off for the local boys?

I haven't found much for wide boots past the Fox brand...I will keep an eye out for them though...

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Something like the Tech 8s with the removable booty might work. You could put in a thicker solepad for cushion and heavy socks
One of my son's friends forgot his boots a couple seasons ago and to at least ride he was going to use my Tech8s. His foot was a 12 while my tech8 were a 10. Taking the booty out worked very comfortably for him

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
justalonewolf007 said:
Can you give us a little more information?

Will she be racing? Woods riding? Doing jumps? Showing off for the local boys?

I haven't found much for wide boots past the Fox brand...I will keep an eye out for them though...
She will be riding mostly woods and the occasional track. Showing off for the local boys???? :bang: NOT according to her dad! :laugh:

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
I have a wide foot. My first boot was the kids alphine star...size 7 or 8 I believe. The moment I put them on it was total comfort. I have SG10's now and they are so narrow. I had to go up 2 sizes and you're right...they are so long it's difficult to shift.

The Kids Alpine Stars are not as high as adult boots but I wore knee pads so it didnt much matter.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Thanks for everyones input! I appreciate it so much... I'll pass this along to my brother so that he can properly fit my niece with one of the above methods.

Something is bound to work!!

Apr 30, 2007
Actually...I'm not sure how the Alpinestars would work...they fit me perfectly...and I am wide at the toes...but very narrow at the heel...I think the modification of the boot idea was a great one actually...

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
The Garne SG10's had some good width adjustment, don't rule them out.

What kind of Bike is she getting?? :cool:

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
rickyd said:
The Garne SG10's had some good width adjustment, don't rule them out.

What kind of Bike is she getting?? :cool:
Hi Ricky!!!! How've you been? Ashley, my niece, is getting a ttr125. She doesn't know it yet, my brother will be surprising her next week!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I've been good, I think I may have a broken collarbone though, I had a pretty good get off out at Club Moto 2 weeks ago and my shoulder has been sore. I may try and ride Sunday morning depending how I feeel and the weather.

Good for her, the TTR125 is a great bike! Do you still have my email?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I have wide feet, and big calves, the SG-10's have a lot of adjustment to make them wider. Best part is the pivoting ankle. Try some out, they are a Great boot.

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
I have them and had to go 2 sizes bigger because they werent wide enough for me. Are you talking about adjusting the calf part of the boot? The boot part wasnt wide enough for me in my size and since I went up 2 whole sizes its difficult for me to shift gears. I always seem to be sticking it in neutral. I've had them for about 6 mos and havent ridden much either since I got them. Just wondering if I missed something in making the boot wider.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Yes I was talking about the whole calf/strap set up. I thought it had a decent amount of room.

Have you tried adjusting the shift lever on your bike? Also, a company called Hammerhead makes shifter levers you may want to look at. I want to get a brake lever for my bike. Here is a link.
http://www.hammerheaddesignsinc.com/products.html

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
Those are great. I have the hammerhead brake pedal and love it. I keep thinking with a little time on my bike I'll get use to it but realistically I should just change it out. I always seem to stick it in neutral at the WRONG time.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
It could be as simple as moving the shift lever down one notch, also, my 450R has a hard time shifting (at least it seems that way to me) if the oil is ready to be changed. Although this last time I switched my bike over to Redline. I lowered my pegs and had to do this (move the shifter). I was looking at the Hammerhead brake pedal the other day, looks like it functions noce, I like the size of the pad.

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
I got my bike used (from my husband) and the brake lever was on it already so I dont really know the difference. I do know that I should really do something about the shift lever...I think I should just do it. I'll let you know what I think after I get it on. Hopefully before Pres day weekend. Finally going riding again.

Thats pretty cool that you're bike gives you warning signs to change the oil. Nice that you were able to figure that out.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Yeah please keep me posted on the shifter. An old friend of mine is wrenching on a Supercross team this year and I was looking at them on their bikes. With the shift/brake levers adjusted to your liking it seems like one less thing to worry about.

I will be riding hopefully soon, I need to heal up my shoulder/collarbone :)

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
Oh noooo. That sucks. Sorry to hear you are on the injured list. Heal up healthy. I will advise if I ever ride on a hammerhead shifter. You're right....why not just change it out...why suffer, I know its a problem, I have the solution...just do it. Thank you.

Top Bottom