Boots? Any opinions?

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I bought cheap Fly boots last year after returning to the sport --- JUNK! Hot! Vinyl lining --- I mean, HOT! :bang: :bang: And really high toes besides! I moved up my shift lever and still miss shifts.

I bought a pair of last year's SIDI Vortex last week, but haven't worn them yet ($193 and change after tax). I can get a pair of Thor T-30's in my size for $100 (maybe less if I bargain down). I can also got a pair of Oxstar Blast in my size for $85 (or whatever I can work out). The latter two are off craigslist, and are supposed to be brand new.

The SIDI's feel really nice, but I'm not a racer. I ride for fun, when I can. My wife hasn't seen the charge reciept for them yet either. I have the receipt, and can return them.

Does anyone out there have an opinion about any of the brands and models I'm trying to decide between? I like the SIDI's, but they are more $ than I can maybe justify for the amount I ride, and the old bikes I ride.

Thanks!

agrass582

Jun 7, 2005
I just picked up a pair of the Thor Quadrant's. Haven't really rode with them, but they seem to be of pretty good quality. Paid $129 plus tax. They feel very confortable. Will let you know how they work out for me.

gumby1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2002
I recommend staying with the Sidi boots. I think this is one of those times when you get what you pay for. I have always been happy with my Sidi boots and I am willing to pay a little more for quality and fit.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
i've been riding in my thor t-30's for almost 2 years now and I have no complaints at all. If I had the money I would go for the more expensive boots though, as they will offer more protection.

krosser

Apr 7, 2003
My son has Sidi and likes them although he is finding he needs a bit more room now. They are slimmer in the foot than the Gaerne which i prefer probably cos i have wide feet which is where he gets it from. Both are top of the safety list and a $100 to prevent damage is cheap. I saw a bud bend his foot under the rest in a slow but dodgy landing and was off work 5 months, and still sore, for something both these boots would have prevented.

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
Don't go cheap on boots! Someday your ankles will thenk me. Anyway Oneal hardware boots break in fast and are comfy, but not as much ankle support. The sidi's are very good. The new tech 6's are good and durable. Gaerne makes good boots and they still make an inexpensive model that's good. Your feet deserve decent boots. You don't ride in a Wal Mart helmet do you? Well you slhouldn't.

gillsm

Apr 7, 2002
I have been wearing the same sidi boots since 2001 with the replacable soles.I have replaced the soles four times and am due for a new set of soles soon.Before i owned my sidi boots I was always disapointed to throw old boots away because usaully the boots would be in decent shape put the soles would be puched.Aside from replacing soles about once per year I don't forsee these boots wearing out any time soon but when they do you can be shure I'll be purchacing another pair,they are the bomb.If money is a concern these are the boots to have.

kxbuffalo

Apr 29, 2005
Hey, krosser! kxbuffalo. what kind of injury did your friend have that kept him out so long? Just a couple days ago I made a hard landing in some boots that were on their way out and cracked my tib and tore some ligs. Feet never left the pegs, just that POP got me! I hope to heal soon but your message has me worried. Thanks, kxbuffalo

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…