ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I'm contemplating a Borescope purchase. While there's no disputing it's coolness factor, it's price dictates it must makes sense. Either from a labor saving angle, or an enhancement to my mechanical/tuning capabilities.

My rationalization for it's purchase, is mostly centered around my wanting to be able extract the most, out the race fuels, I'm now using/pushing. Understanding there is tuning potential, in reading the burn pattern, this appears to be a must.

It also makes sense, that it would give you the ability to quickly read, the inside of the cylinder, valves, reeds, plating condition, etc.

How about brands, or specific kits?

I would be very interested to hear others opinions on these matters. Any elaboration on other uses, or techniques, would be cool as well.

Thanks,
Mark

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Machida has good quality borescopes. They are not cheap, for instance the battery powered version (lightsource) is around 6000 bucks. The 110 vold version is even more, however it is brighter.

I saw a very interesting setup during a wing internal inspection. The borescope tech had cobbled together a tiny ccd chip on the end of a stiff wire. it fed a VCR and small (quality) TV monitor. The resolution was fantastic and it was small enough (about 8mm) to fit into tight areas.

The typical bore scope (such as the Machida) is 5mm and is capable of making it all the way into the crankcase of a 2 stroke.

If you find any bargains let us know.

Chris

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Guys , I used to use one while I worked on cars and it was a real big help in like estimating jobs and whether or not to tear down motors or trans or to just replace complete units. After I left I really missed that scope . Id like to try to find one thats monitor ready at a medical equipment auction or something . Could you imagine finding a bargain like that?The smaller self contained eye loop ones are getting cheaper to purchase .

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
My budget was going to be $800-$1k. Is this enough, to get a respectable quality tool, for the above procedures? I was also leaning towards a flexible shaft, any opinions?

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Check for hawkeye borescopes and if you can't get one let me know I can save you a few grand !!
800 bucks for the top of the line 18" scope...

Tis what I use to open safes...

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Get one of the pediatric GI guys to bring home a pediatric endoscope, or just break in to the hospital and steal one.

I guess I do bring home gloves--maybe I could get one of these fellers for ya. ;)

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Nephron Ill take the first one just make sure its sano . I really could have used one this week when a racer kid was running his 03 250F in the mud at Evansville and out in front he crashes in the last turn and the tranny/motor locked up. Big flames out of the exhaust pipe.They pushed it off the track with a quad and couldnt turn it over until it colled off . Ironically it was also powerwashed . Then the motor turned over and ran . He brought it to the shop and we listened to it but it soiunded okay but thre oil was a bit burnt. I decided to pul the big clutchR/S cover and have a look around . On a 426 250F you can look into the trans by removing the oil feed pipe above the gears and looking inside You can also see the piston bottom and part of the cylinder by peeking through the hole in the cylinder skirtR/S . Checked the filter and the oil screen but no real gnarlies to befound. Im gonna take off the Ign cover and see whats stuck in the magnets as that probably where everything accumilates . Maybe the thing just kinda hydro locked when he fell down. Sure could have used that Scope. Cheers DEAN

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom